New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Frosty, all of the information for building this 6 nest box including dimensions are included in the first post. If you want plans for a two nest box you need to email me.

The material I used is called lukabond. It's plastic with aluminum bonded to both sides. It was scrap from a commercial job and not readily available so I would use the AC plywood and shellac it. Shellac dries in 30 minutes and would allow you to apply several coats in the same amount of time as one coat of paint.
Do you think it would work to use the stuff that they make counter tops out of? Or would the particle board that they probably use in the middle cause a problem?

pdavin, thanks for your comment. Evidently quite a few others have used my designs and not a week goes by that I don't correspond with someone about rollout nests.

Looking at the first page instructions, I have a couple of questions before I start cutting:

1) You reference 4 - partitions; what part of the design are they? The boards with the notches/slots cut out?

2) About the 2 ramp platforms and the partitions: How far apart are those notches or slots spaced apart in order to make the 6 equal boxes?

Thanks once again! Can't wait to show you my finished OPA designed rollout!!!

Looking at the first page instructions, I have a couple of questions before I start cutting:

1) You reference 4 - partitions; what part of the design are they? The boards with the notches/slots cut out?

2) About the 2 ramp platforms and the partitions: How far apart are those notches or slots spaced apart in order to make the 6 equal boxes?

Thanks once again! Can't wait to show you my finished OPA designed rollout!!!
The partitions are the boards (walls) that divide the box into individual nest boxes.
The 2 boards with the slots are the sloping floor of the nest boxes and the slots are cut to slide around the partiions. Locate the partitions spacing by measuring the interior of the box, subtract the thickness of the two partitions, then divide by 3.
The slots in the sloping floor are determine by the thickness of the partitions and their spacing by the width of each individual nest box compartment.

I had my DH look at your nestboxes and he is "on board" to build them into our current conversion.
We'll either do a 2x2 set or tall 2x3 ( 2 across)
15 hens and 3 ducks and I would hope to have the ducks comfortable in the bottom ones. Can I install these close to the floor? Leaving, of course, enough space underneath for the proper slant.

Thank you so much for all the information and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom