New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

The 24" depth came after watching hens reach under the partition. I tried to find a length that would position the eggs far enough that they couldn't reach them. However, since adding the the curtain I've not seen any hens reaching under it. Perhaps that would allow you to shorten it. If you have 4" of box inside the coop, 4" of wall thickness, that only leaves 18" outside of the coop and could quite easily be supported and roofed without shortening my design.

hide.gif
Just peeking and loving your beautiful work!
thumbsup.gif

I use that same plastic nest box liner, but I keep it covered up with pine shavings because I keep thinking that the pointy plastic blades sticking up are mean and uncomfortable. I sure wouldn't want to walk barefoot on that pointy plastic mat. Of course, if it's uncomfortable enough to keep my egg-pecking hen from hanging around long enough to peck her egg, then it's a good thing. But still, I don't want her avoiding the nest box because she has to tolerate ouchy feet in order to stay long enough to lay. Oy, I'm such a softy.

Quote:
I use the plastic nest pads in my nests and the chickens use them without hesitation. Adding wood shavings prevents the eggs from rolling out if you are using a rollout nest and just make them harder to clean regardless of the nest style. The chickens have feathers for padding they don't need more.

so what comes next ?
The motion sensor activated, conveyer belt,...
that brings them into the house,...
and delivers them to a Rube Goldberg Egg Cracker ?

LOL !!!

Nice Job on the roll-out boxes, I just may have to try something like that,
big_smile.png

Opa,

What is the material from which you made the ramps?

I found nothing like it at Lowes and am thinking to paint the exposed side of some A/C plywood for the purpose...

Thanks,

--A

The material I used is called lukabond. It's plastic with aluminum bonded to both sides. It was scrap from a commercial job and not readily available so I would use the AC plywood and shellac it. Shellac dries in 30 minutes and would allow you to apply several coats in the same amount of time as one coat of paint.

Back
Top Bottom