New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

VERY cool.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
You put the nest side inside the coop, the whole unit sits inside the wall, and the egg delivery part is on the other side of the wall (even outside...)
Good luck!

Over the past year a I have sent plans, pictures, and instructions for a two nest box or referred you to this thread to build a six box, to a great number of you. I wish I had kept track of just exactly how many but I wouldn't be surprized if the number is somewhere around 100. If you have built either nest system could you please post on this thread what your experience with them has been?

Opa, I love my rear roll-out nest box! Your instructions and follow-up assistance really made the build process work for me. Mine is a two-nest box. The girls - like everywhere, I guess - prefer one side to the other. I don't know if it's because I made the roll pitch a bit higher on one nest... But they actually like the steeper pitched one.

Thank you again for everything - with your help, I was able to build a really useful portion of my coop.

I built one! Not from scratch but I borrowed your ideas to convert this Martha Stewart bookcase into a 9 hole rear roll-out nest box.

34566_bookcase.jpg

A work in progress.

34566_fog_1_of_1-4.jpg

Here is the finished product from the front minus the nestpads:

34566_freerangecoop_1_of_1-14.jpg

I built the unit into a wall so I could remove the eggs without going into the coop. I couldn't extend the backs as far as you recommended because it would jut into entry from the barn.

34566_freerangecoop_1_of_1-6.jpg

And from the back with the nest pads in place:

34566_bedtime_1_of_1-6.jpg

I didn't make my slant as steep as yours. This coop will house Icelandics and they lay medium eggs so I figured the slant was adequate. I tested it with small and large eggs and they roll just great. I can't wait to try it with a real hen. We will be moving them into this new coop as soon as the automatic pop door arrives. I used lots of Gorilla Wood Glue so if I end up needing to modify it, there might be trouble!

I also made a matching bulk feeder out of a turned upside down wooden sawhorse!

34566_freerangecoop_1_of_1-5.jpg

So I wanted to thank you for sharing the instructions and pictures. It made the project fun and much easier! Hubby is very proud of me right now! I will post back later after the field testing commences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom