New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Opa - you mentioned in the very first post in this thread that "many people have gotten your plans for a 2 hole rollout nest box............. where can I find those plans - do you have them posted on here someplace? - I only have 4 hens and the 2-hole rollout box would be perfect for my new little coop I'm building.

If you could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Opa, just wanted to let you know that my 9 hole roll-out nest is working great! Problem is they fight over the same hole! Chickens, sheesh!
barnie.gif

The folks on the Jersey Giant thread tell me a 12x12 nest box is not large enough for them. The giants, not the folks.
big_smile.png
I'd like to make the rollout nest box with a larger footprint but I can't locate larger plastic nest pads. Short of cutting strips off a pad and piecing them together, I think my best option might be to make one of the openings 12x24. Only a few of my flock will be JG's. Do you have a better suggestion?

I think I would go ahead and modify the design to 16" and rather than using the plastic nest pads use a piece of astro turf door mat cut to the proper size. If you cut two pads for each nest you could remove them, wash, and allow to dry. I would suggest making the ramp slightly steeper to fascilitate the eggs rolling.

Quote:
I'm glad you brought that up. I neglected to mention the perches that I mounted just below the nest opening. After the nest box was installed in the wall approximately 4 inches extends into the coop. I transfered the location of the bottom of the nest opening to the sides and attached a 1x4x10" support 2" below that mark. Four total. A 1x4 was attached to the ends of these supports to create the two perches.

Opa,
I plan on building your 6 compartment box and wondered if you could take a picture of your finished nest box in the coop. I am trying to figure out just how you attached the perch onto the front of the structure.
Thanks,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom