New Roo an EE or Americauna?

Chickens in Elmwood

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
Elmwood, WV
I went to pick up some advertised EE pullets from a breeder near my home and decided to get a roo to replace the one that went to freezer camp. She showed me several EE roos that were running here and there, and then she asked me if I wanted to see her Americauna Blue Wheaten roosters. She took me to the back portion of her lot, where she had a few hens in one pen and a few roosters in another. She claimed they were the parents/grandparents, etc. of the boy I ended up bringing home. She showed me what she said was his father and grandfather and they looked exactly like him. I don't know if he is the "real thing" or not, I mean, she could have just picked out the ones that looked like Blue Wheatens and stuck them in a pen together, but honestly, she had a lot of chickens, ducks and guineas running free around on her farm, but several pens of segregated animals that all looked true to their breeds.

So, I know all the girls I got are EEs, and I can even tell what breeds some of them have in their mixed parentage, but what do you think of this roo? He is a real sweetie and I think he is lovely whatever he is. If you think he is an EE, please tell me why because I am new to Americaunas and EEs, and want to learn.
big_smile.png

Without further ado, presenting Dapper Dan for your inspection.

He let me hold him for a long time when we first brought him home. When I finally put him down, he just kept standing there. I guess he was waiting for me to pick him up again.

36122_new_chickens_003.jpg

36122_chicken_coop_015.jpg

Here he is with his best girl friend, whom we might name Fop. She is an EE with a blue tail and under feathers and looks very Buff Orpingtonish one her head and neck only with tiny little muffs.

36122_chicken_coop_017.jpg

Strutting around for the ladies. Too bad they were all too busy with their butts in the air!

36122_chicken_coop_018.jpg

He is an easter egger. He looks very similar to a blue wheaten, but he definately has green on his feet.

Wheaten and blue wheaten ameraucanas do not have that dark of legs either.

Thanks for the picture and yes you are right. They look very similar but I managed to find my Storey's illustrated guide and they described the legs as the shanks being slate colored with the bottom of the feet and toes being white.

Good eye!

Back
Top Bottom