New roo, older hens

chickenassistant

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
Let me give you the dynamics… currently we have 8 hens. 1 that’s 7 years old, 1 at 5 years of age, 3 that are 3 years old, 3 that are 4 months old. When we got the 4 chickens this last March, we were surprised to know that our speckled Sussex was a rooster (He’s absolutely gorgeous though). We’ve never had a rooster.

Our older hens have banded together and chase him away if he mounts one of them. Our younger 3 just run away.

When can I expect for him to cool his hormones down? Will he be accepted by the older ladies?

Also like to note out salmon faverolle was severely picked on by our Plymouth Rock to the point the salmons head was bleeding. Now the Plymouth Rock goes up against the rooster to defend the salmon. Our Plymouth is very dominant. The rooster is petrified of her.

About 2-3 more months. One day he will just be in charge. And they will all love him. It is kind of weird, but chickens seem to forget things after a hormone change. Like a broody hen, wakes up and just forgets her chicks. One day, the rooster will say "Hey, I am the new man!" and they will be in love.

There is a theory that you get better roosters if raised under older hens. I tend to believe it has some influence. One never knows for positive with a rooster.

Mrs K

About 2-3 more months. One day he will just be in charge. And they will all love him. It is kind of weird, but chickens seem to forget things after a hormone change. Like a broody hen, wakes up and just forgets her chicks. One day, the rooster will say "Hey, I am the new man!" and they will be in love.

There is a theory that you get better roosters if raised under older hens. I tend to believe it has some influence. One never knows for positive with a rooster.

Mrs K
It's funny how our older hens have bonded in chasing away the rooster. But our Plymouth hen is still top of the pecking order and scares the begeezus of the rooster. Will she eventually submit or is she too stubborn to be beneath him (she's been our top hen for years)?

Attachments

• IMG_7056.jpeg
    IMG_7056.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 6

Mrs K
In my experience, adult hens will do a pretty good job of teaching a young cockerel manners, in the absence of a dominant rooster. The older ladies don't take any nonsense from a young'un :old:smack:D

Sad news, we ended up rehoming the rooster. He was hyper-fixating on two of our hens, aggressively pulling out feathers, and beating up their combs (to the point there were scabs left). He is going to live out his dreams of his procreation at the feed store.

Great feed store, they don't put them down they find a new home or use them to give us more of the cute little bundles of fluff.

Sad news, we ended up rehoming the rooster. He was hyper-fixating on two of our hens, aggressively pulling out feathers, and beating up their combs (to the point there were scabs left). He is going to live out his dreams of his procreation at the feed store.

Great feed store, they don't put down they find a new home or use them to give us more of the cut leittle bundles of fluff.
Because cockerels mature earlier and breed sooner the pullets are best kept separate until they start laying. Hopefully you can try again later!

Back
Top Bottom