New Roo with Respiratory Infection

Aslea

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Leesburg GA
I bought a rooster with a pretty nasty respiratory infection. The previous owner was a small time farmer but did have documentation for a clean flock. I already love this little Roo.

We've had some nasty weather which doesn't help this situation. A week prior to buying the Roo one of my other hens got a respiratory infection as well. Then an hour after the new Roo another Roo started sneezing. The new Roo has yellow mucus stuck in his nostrils. He had a good apetite however and seems otherwise fine

I have Penicillin here at home. I plan to go to Tractor Supply for heat lamps in a few minutes and I need to know dosages to know what size syrenges and needles to get. I've never done chicken injections either. I'd rather not buy a whole new bottle of antibiotic unless it's cheap.

So my question is, how do I treat an respiratory infection? I have Penicillin and need to know the dosage and needle size. Any and all help would be wonderful.

I would isolate this chicken immediately in a dog crate, someplace dim, warm, and quiet.

It's important to know what's causing the illness before you try and treat it. Not all respiratory ailments in chickens are created equal, and not all antibiotics treat all infections. Gram positive and negative, and all that.

Does his head have a strong odor? Swelling around the eyes? How are his poops?

What happened to the hen that was sneezing? Did that stop? Did she exhibit any nasal discharge?

It's possible he's just got clogged nares from discharge gummed up by food dust or dirt. See if you can get that stuff out of there with some tweezers and a q-tip soaked in saline. Wrap him snugly in a towel for better control. Two pairs of hands work best for digging around in chickens!!

For respiratory stuff, it depends on what's causing it. If the stress of the move caused mycoplasma to flare up, you could have a larger issue on your hands. If it's Infectious Bronchitis, that's more manageable.

Is there any way you could get a blood test done by a vet to see what's causing his illness?

MrsB

I'm isolating all three. The hen and my other Roo have same symptoms. No swelling around eyes. Wattles seem possibly swollen but I never assessed that when I got him. I've been letting him rest with only touch to treat the infection. Normal poop. Hen still slightly sick still treating but about to fight harder as its about to get colder. She has no discharge. But she is breathing heavy and sneezing.

I'm off getting heat lamps for them now. I'll have to assess better in a few.

My hen and my Roo (not the new roo) have the same symptoms as each other. No nasal discharge. New Roo has nasal discharge and I think swollen wattles.

From the symptoms you describe I'd suspect infectious coryza. I believe Tylan is one of the meds that can be used but this is not something I've ever had to treat in my own flocks so research that further, and perhaps someone with more experience with that particular disease will post.

The smell that comes off chickens when they have Coryza is nearly impossible to miss, even if you've never smelled it before.

Swelling of the face and a smelly head are good indicators that's what you've got... But a trip to the vet to *verify* this would be the best way to go.

Could you post some pictures of their heads? That would really help.

Here is more information on Coryza: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/

And from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/69444/sick-dying-chicks-update-8-7-pics-pg-19/80

Look at Post #90 for dosing instructions and other good advice.

Please keep in mind that *if it is Coryza,* a chicken can be carriers for life, even without showing symptoms, and can infect other birds at any time.

Let us know!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom