New rooster causing problems

4littleducklings

Chirping
May 5, 2020
SW Wisconsin
We recently added a new rooster to our flock because someone was getting rid of him. Our older rooster quite literally got his feathers ruffles by this. I haven’t seen them fight but they’re always on guard when the other comes around. And this morning I noticed our older rooster with feathers missing from his neck..do you think our new rooster did it or is it a sign of stress?!

We recently added a new rooster to our flock because someone was getting rid of him. Our older rooster quite literally got his feathers ruffles by this. I haven’t seen them fight but they’re always on guard when the other comes around. And this morning I noticed our older rooster with feathers missing from his neck..do you think our new rooster did it or is it a sign of stress?!
Roosters fight. Sooner or later they will have a good one. If they can't work things out someone will be killed. Either buy them or you. introducing a second adult rooster into a flock with a resident rooster is always going to result in stress.

Roosters fight. Sooner or later they will have a good one. If they can't work things out someone will be killed. Either buy them or you. introducing a second adult rooster into a flock with a resident rooster is always going to result in stress.
So time will tell? I just feel bad for the old rooster but I feel bad for the new rooster too. He just wants to be with the other chickens and the old rooster is constantly scary him off.

So time will tell? I just feel bad for the old rooster but I feel bad for the new rooster too. He just wants to be with the other chickens and the old rooster is constantly scary him off.
How many hens do you have? How big of an area are they in, and does it include places the two roosters can hide and get away from each other?Those are some things that can affect their interactions.

How many hens do you have? How big of an area are they in, and does it include places the two roosters can hide and get away from each other?Those are some things that can affect their interactions.
We have 10 hens. They tend to follow the older rooster but will go around the new one without a problem. They have a run and then they can leave the run to a outside area that’s fenced in. The new rooster tends to run to the outside area and hang by himself. I feel so bad for him.

the old rooster is constantly scary him off.
Well yes, because it’s his job to protect his ladies. Would it be possible to section off an area and get the new roosters some hens of his own? I have found that my chickens form cliques with each rooster going around with his specific group of hen followers. They co mingle, but generally keep to themselves. But then again, my roosters all grew up here so they were used to each other ftom the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom