New rooster to 1 year old flock

queeniekq

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2017
Hi there!!
We want to see about bringing a rooster in to fertilize the eggs to get new chicks. We have 13 RIR hens. Is this a good idea? How would we do this? Thank you.

Stephine

Songster
5 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
If you can, get an older roo - they have calmed down a bit. Probably most roos will be young though, so look for a mild mannered one. Quarantine for a few weeks (research quarantine for new flock members), then introduce by the see-don’t-touch method for a few days. Play this by ear - the hens might be naturally more accepting of a male bird in their midst than a new hen, but a few of the hens might object vigorously to some male marching in and taking over. Observe closely and play it by ear. I brought a new cockerel into a flock of 1 1/2 year olds and they did fine with him, though he had to duke it out with a few of the lead hens...

Jetblack2004

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 22, 2016
South East England
My Coop
My Coop
How old is the cockerel you are thinking of getting? You might have better luck with an older cockerel rather than a young one. Chances are a younger cockerel will get picked on by a gang of 13 hens.

@Stephine has given good suggestions for introducing him.

We gave away one of our RIR cockerels to a friend and he went to live with 50+ hens. It went very well- he thought he was dreaming!

Good luck with your new cockerel :)

Top Bottom