New rooster

Why can't you get a second chicken? It's just one chicken. It would mean the difference between a very lonely, unhappy bird vs one that has a chance to live a normal life. If you can house a single cockerel, you can house a pullet along with him. I'm just not getting what the issue is there.
We can only have one due to the size of the garden and if we do get another puller there is a risk they’re not get on/ he will try to over mate her.

He is starting to fight with the other rooster and we haven’t got him yet as we are dealing with a lot rn
I can’t bring myself to it as there is a chance he can live out his life instead of being killed
We can only have one due to the size of the garden and if we do get another puller there is a risk they’re not get on/ he will try to over mate her.
I think your doing an amazing thing! Great job being willing to adopt this cockerel!
May I ask a quick question? What are the dimensions of your garden space? You need 10sft of run space per bird, and 2sft of coop space per bird. For one bird, thats a 2x5 run and a small coop. Your not gonna build a coop with only 2ft of space, so just something small and affordable. ;)
For two birds, you'd need a 5x4 run, thats still not very big, and a couple T-posts, ( you can sometimes find these for cheep on CL if your not picky about size) and some hog wire would do the trick. You can get larger cedar corner posts at a hardware store for a decent price. It wont be a very large run so you wont need many. Then some middle priced bird netting from Amazon.
Do you think that your budget/space has enough room for a 4x5 run and small coop? I completely understand your reasoning for a 1:1 ration for hens and roosters. You have every right to be concerned there, and I agree its not a good idea. But, you could adopt another rooster from CL, and they would be happy together without any other hens. Plus, you'd be saving two lives, and your next rooster wouldn't' have to be alone. Do you think that could work for you?
If it doesn't, then I must say that you may want to consider trying to find him another home, or finding someone else who can cull him. Chickens are flock animals, especially roosters, and he would be unhappy alone. Maybe if it was only for a very short time, but he will need a companion for the long run.
Hopefully you can make two roosters work. I think you have a really great heart being willing to take in this rooster, such a nice thing for you to do. But remember, you gave your flock away before because you knew that it wasn't working. Make sure that this is in the best interest of the rooster as well. Good luck! Crossing my fingers you can make this work.

I think your doing an amazing thing! Great job being willing to adopt this cockerel!
May I ask a quick question? What are the dimensions of your garden space? You need 10sft of run space per bird, and 2sft of coop space per bird. For one bird, thats a 2x5 run and a small coop. Your not gonna build a coop with only 2ft of space, so just something small and affordable. ;)
For two birds, you'd need a 5x4 run, thats still not very big, and a couple T-posts, ( you can sometimes find these for cheep on CL if your not picky about size) and some hog wire would do the trick. You can get larger cedar corner posts at a hardware store for a decent price. It wont be a very large run so you wont need many. Then some middle priced bird netting from Amazon.
Do you think that your budget/space has enough room for a 4x5 run and small coop? I completely understand your reasoning for a 1:1 ration for hens and roosters. You have every right to be concerned there, and I agree its not a good idea. But, you could adopt another rooster from CL, and they would be happy together without any other hens. Plus, you'd be saving two lives, and your next rooster wouldn't' have to be alone. Do you think that could work for you?
If it doesn't, then I must say that you may want to consider trying to find him another home, or finding someone else who can cull him. Chickens are flock animals, especially roosters, and he would be unhappy alone. Maybe if it was only for a very short time, but he will need a companion for the long run.
Hopefully you can make two roosters work. I think you have a really great heart being willing to take in this rooster, such a nice thing for you to do. But remember, you gave your flock away before because you knew that it wasn't working. Make sure that this is in the best interest of the rooster as well. Good luck! Crossing my fingers you can make this work.
Thank you so much for your informative comment! Unfortunately, he passed away along with the rest of the flock due to a fox getting to them :( But thank you so much anyways xx

Back
Top Bottom