New Rooster

I will say this and didn’t add to the original post… I have 26 chickens all together… 5 are roosters. I am still new and need all the advice… so with 21 hens i only need 2 roosters… right?
You don't actually need roosters unless you want fertile eggs but I know I live having mine around. Yes 2 is good, you can try 3 but remember you may have to rid of another one

Agreed, 5 roosters is alot, how many hens do you have now @Broodymomma22? You should have AT LEAST 7 hens per rooster. My flock of 14 hens has 1 rooster but I am going to get more hens and another rooster. You need to rehome 3 of your boys. Sorry your caught in this situation ❤️

Thanks for the tag @BarnyardChaos 🥰
I have 5 laying hens, 1 bantam Cochin hen and rooster ( I bought them as a pair) 3 silkies hens and now 2 silkie roosters,1 hen that is about 2 months old, 2 roosters that JUST started crowing, 6 babies that are a month old and 2 chicks that my hen JUST hatched!

I have 5 laying hens, 1 bantam Cochin hen and rooster ( I bought them as a pair) 3 silkies hens and now 2 silkie roosters,1 hen that is about 2 months old, 2 roosters that JUST started crowing, 6 babies that are a month old and 2 chicks that my hen JUST hatched!
So 10 hens and some babies, 5 roosters are not going to work. You can have at the MOST 2

You can try a day or 2 more but be careful because they can and will kill each other

Hey, we were all new once! Your doing your best!
I really am trying… my husband said I could only have 10 chickens and now… bam 26! 😭
So 10 hens and some babies, 5 roosters are not going to work. You can have at the MOST 2
Thank you so much! I love all of my chickens (hence the reason I made this post) I will work on rehoming some… I thought I would be doing a good deed by taking this one in… looks like a messed up the order of my flock.

I will say this and didn’t add to the original post… I have 26 chickens all together… 5 are roosters. I am still new and need all the advice… so with 21 hens i only need 2 roosters… right?
You don't ever "need" a rooster, unless you want eggs to be fertilized. ;) They do serve a purpose besides breeding, though... protecting the flock from predators, calling alarm, disciplining hens who get out of line, finding the best treats and hangouts for them, and rounding them up at roosting time. With 21 hens, you could have one, two, or maaaaybe three roosters (if they get along and have plenty of ranging space).

Just recently, we donated one of our three roosters to a friend trying to start her flock. Another suffered an injury and had to be culled. That left us with one rooster, and about 38 laying hens. He was in rooster heaven, although a bit stressed trying to keep up with them all. LOL. We had(have) 40-50 chicks coming along at various age, so plenty of cockerels to choose from to replace them. I've kept two so far, with plans to pick one more from the youngest group of chicks still in the brooder at the moment. I like to keep a balance of 12-18 hens per rooster, to keep competition at a minimum.

I really am trying… my husband said I could only have 10 chickens and now… bam 26! 😭
Yeah chicken math hits hard! Some of your chickens may turn out to be roosters,especially if they are straight run, so expect to give some some away
Thank you so much! I love all of my chickens (hence the reason I made this post) I will work on rehoming some… I thought I would be doing a good deed by taking this one in… looks like a messed up the order of my flock.
It's OK, you didn't know! You seem like a great flock owner!

Back
Top Bottom