New run - grass, wood chips question

Krugerrand

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
SW Pennsylvania
I expect to have my 4 chicks in a covered run (apx 60 sq ft) sometime next week. My plan is to go the route of semi-deep litter(cold composting). However, the girls will start with grass in the run. How long should I expect the grass to last before I need to start adding wood chips, etc? (days? weeks? a month?)

I expect to have my 4 chicks in a covered run (apx 60 sq ft) sometime next week. My plan is to go the route of semi-deep litter(cold composting). However, the girls will start with grass in the run. How long should I expect the grass to last before I need to start adding wood chips, etc? (days? weeks? a month?)
I am guessing about 1-2 weeks, how long is the grass?

It's hard for me to say. How old will the chicks be? It sound like the turf is well established. How much rain will you get? What is your criteria to decide when you want to add the wood chips? With only 4 young chicks in that area and what I expect your weather to be in Pa. in a month I'd guess a month or more, but that is a pure guess.

It's hard for me to say. How old will the chicks be? It sound like the turf is well established. How much rain will you get? What is your criteria to decide when you want to add the wood chips? With only 4 young chicks in that area and what I expect your weather to be in Pa. in a month I'd guess a month or more, but that is a pure guess.
They'll be about 7 weeks old.

What criteria should I use to decide when to add the wood chips?

Depends on the size of the run, the health of the turf, the amount of rain, and other factors.

It took my 7 chicks months to start creating bare spots in their pen last summer, but my pen is over 600 square feet (100 feet of Premier 1 electric poultry netting), and I kept moving the posts to expose fresh ground every couple weeks.

But now, after about 10 months, they can destroy grass a lot faster than it can grow when I expose new ground and the core of their area has been covered in pine straw since November.

I'd put down bedding when the run seems to need it -- when the ground looks bare and torn up or when you just start to notice a potential mud or odor problem starting.

Back
Top Bottom