New Run! Hawk threat?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Snowboy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Snowboy

Snowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    I used to have a lot of problems with hawks when I first got ducks, however I was able to master the art of protecting them. Now several years later and a new (and large) coyote problem has forced me to pen in all of my poultry (Now including Geese and Guineas on top of ducks). I bought over 300 feet of fencing, I do not however plan to use all of it. It will be large, and has to be, however I have not thought of any type of top for it. And with the size I am thinking of the top would have to be made out of string of some sort. So my real question is If I will see a return to my hawk problem? I have not seen any hawks around my house in several years, but their return may be inevitable.

My ducks are Peking and Rouen ducks.
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Here's a few ideas:

Just a few ideas to run by you....poultry netting is pretty cheap...
  3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I remember seeing some nice poultry netting on Amazon, and the price seemed to be reasonable as well. Other than that, I suppose you know of hanging old CD's on a string and other shinny things to deter the birds of prey. As far as that goes you could use twine every few feet crossed to and fro. I understand that the hawks can see this, but this is a problem I have not had as of yet.

Best to you and your birds,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by