New Run...

SoTXChickenFarmer13

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Corpus Christi
I'm building a new run beside my coop. I originally used the plans for a tractor/coop from a Lowes circular, but modified it to make it a little cheaper, but soon realized that my girls need more room. I bought a green house frame kit that I'm using chicken wire for walls and reed fencing for a thatched roof effect ( like the Tiki-Coop some one posted before), it will have some perches at different levels plus some stumps for the girls to hang out on.
My question is, should I use cedar chips in the bottom, or leave it open to the bare ground?
My girls aren't allowed in tge yard since I have a cat and a dog, and lots of predator birds in tge area, so is it better for them to have grass and soil, or should I put down a layer of cedar?

Thanks in advance!
Jason

No cedar chips... In high concentration they cause respiratory problems for chickens. Sand is a great floor covering and so is grass and dirt as long as well drained and kept dried are excellent also

You can always use sand too. This is easy to clean and keeps the smell and flies down. We are using sand in our new run upon completion. Although, dirt is fine! We've had dirt for a while now and the girls have liked it just fine. =0)

The corner of my yard that I'm building the run is very sandy soil. I'd like to use wood shavings so I can add it to my compost along with the manure so I can cut the ammonia before I put it in my garden, but my girls love scratching in bare dirt and chasing bugs, maybe I'll build a divider and make it half dirt, half wood chips under the perch?

Back
Top Bottom