New Runner Mama...I'm hooked!!!

Where's all the crazy Runner people when you need them???
pop.gif

Well, this one is outside with her runners!!!!!

Today I have the laptop, and while waiting for something important to load, decided to check in.
frow.gif

Okay, where to start . . . . Girls QUACK! Actually, my girls only occasionally quack. They sound more like a honk. And I think I have all girls. All the blacks honk loudly when picked up. And I think all the chocolates do, too. I have been told boys have a much quieter whispery sound.

Boys develop one or two curly drake feathers on their tails, but this probably occurs around the time the girls start laying.

I don't know about fawn and whites. They are lovely, but I wanted dark ducks. If you have ever seen the iridescence of a grackle, you have an idea of how lovely the feathers are on the darker runners. The blacks especially, but the chocolates, too.

My ducks don't spar - they do act out breeding behaviors (taking turns walking on each others' backs, but gently). It seems to be just to help each other, uhm, express themselves in that way.

I have been told that in some flocks there is an expression of dominance going on with sparring and mounting (or treading, as it is sometimes called). But I don't see that with mine. They seem to be taking turns - no one appears to boss anyone. Eins and Funf tend to be the ones first to find weaknesses in the temporary fence, and so they pop out and if it looks safe, the rest follow.

I'm another one who is out with her runners, her chickens, her horses, her dogs and all the flying biting bugs in that can fill the air.

Mine are 6 weeks old. I definitely have a honker, a couple quacks, some squeekers and a whistler. I guess they are all finding there own tune. I did vent sex them so I think it will take some time before I find out what exactly I have. I'm hoping I'm right and have 5 girls and 1 boy.

No one seems to be the boss, although, depending the situation one of the smaller ducks will be adventurous. The others will follow. On the other hand, when things seem really "scary" a couple of ducks will......... lets say...... do a quick walk by. Meanwhile, in the background one of the bigger ducks will give a push to a duck that does a walk by. Kind of like kids that don't want to go first and someone pushes one out in front? Once that happens and the little duck survives then the rest follow nervously. Yes, all making noise as if they are hot stuff.

I have fawn and whites and I'm so amazed on how soft they look. All there baby fuzz is almost gone. I'm fasinated how they go from a yellow fuzz to a white fuzz then to feathers.

No sparing here. They all cuddle with each other. No breeding behaviors yet either. So far no pecking order. I like that. They are kind to each other. Nothing like chickens at all. Don't get me wrong, I like my chickens too. I'm finding the ducks very fasinating.

When they were smaller (only a few weeks ago) their was nothing calming about ducks. They seemed to go a million miles and hour. As if they had to see the world all in a few seconds. I'd find myself in a trance since they moved so fast........ lol. I find them more calming now as they float in the water. Of course, there beaks will always go a million miles an hour...... LOL. They are just so cool!!!!!!!!!

Mine have started calling out to some of the neighbors whose voices carry, and when the neighborhood kids get loud. Mine used to be the most quiet house on the block. It still may be
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom