New screen door, is this predator proof?

RoseViewFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2017
Central WI
Hello all!
I just finished setting up a new coop and put a screen door on. Everything is done in 1/4 inch hardware mesh except the door which is 1/2 inch hardware mesh. Upon closing it, I discovered this gap. Would you trust this in an area with weasels (I've never seen one but I know they are around) overnight? Most nights the door will be completely closed, but there are times that it's very hot at night, however they are rare.

You cold also put some type of latch on the door that would prevent anything from using the gap to pull the door further open.

That is very true. I was debating with my husband who said it was fine. I am going to take TalkALittle's advice and run trim board to close the gap. Since moving into a more predator dense area, I am way more nervous about the local predators. We just didn't have them as heavily in Ohio.

If it is the hinge side I would not worry about it. Nothing that is capable of killing a chicken could squeeze through there or pull off the hinges. If you do have something capable of pulling off your door hinges nothing else we recommend will work either.

I went to the Habitat Restore and bought an exterior door for $8.00, added a lock, and it's pretty safe. The solid door on the right is a recut interior door, not going to last long, but replacable. Mary

Back
Top Bottom