New Sebastopols with angel wing

From what I remember from vet college, we should NOT breed angel wings in any bird species because it is a genetic fault that can be passed down to generation. However they would make great pets or BBQ!

If the one in the pool always has its wings look like that (and not just when it is resting its wing on the pool), it has angel wing. The one on the left, its wings look droopy, but they aren't sticking out from the body like they do with angel wing. It is just coming out of a molt?

The one in the pool does always look like that. The feathers of the one(s) on the left do ruffle up, they aren't like that all the time.
I don't think any of them have molted yet.

Based on presented evidence, it looks like the goose in the pool has angel wing...not sure about the one on the left. There is a good chance it will be fine after it molts

The goose in the pool looks like it does have angle wing. it is a gray not a saddle back. The white geese with dark backs and heads are saddle backs.
They are very pretty! Keep us posted on what sex they turn out to be!

This issue with Angel wing comes up constantly. Literally almost every waterfowl expert says Angel wing is dietary, not genetic. I can't think of any that think it is genetic. I'm sure there must be, but I don't know of any off hand. The vast majority believe it is protein and excess feeding during the growth phase.

I recent study in Oregon backs up the theory that it is the carbohydrates causing the problem...NOT protein which currently gets the blame.

I will see if I can find the article again.

"in Eugene, Oregon, they are finding that the wings of waterfowl are becoming deformed from a steady diet of bread that is too high in carbohydrates. The deformity makes birds’ feathers grow faster than their wing bones.

Nearly a year ago in Spokane the Parks and Recreation Department launched an extensive educational campaign to let people know how feeding wild ducks and especially feeding them bread is one of the worst things you can do for the ducks.

At the time there was significant media coverage of the campaign. We also implemented an Adopt-a-Duck Plan and found new homes for 40 domestic ducks in the Manito pond that were unable to fly. Now we are finding other medical reasons why feeding waterfowl bread is one of the worst things you can do.

When a young bird eats calorie-dense, nutritionally poor foods — like bread — the growth of its feathers outpaces the development of its wing bones. Gravity pulls the heavy feathers down, and the growing bones twist outward, resulting in a syndrome known as “Angel Wing.” Bandages and physical therapy can correct the condition in young birds, but it is incurable in adults, and affected birds lose the ability to fly.

Parks and Recreation Horticulture Supervisor, Steve Nittolo, has spent several months working on ways to improve water quality in city park ponds. “It all goes back to the public dumping bread into park ponds believing they are helping feed the wild ducks, when instead they are really harming them,” Nittolo said.

In Eugene many people have noticed injured birds and reported them as having broken wings. But what’s really happening is the “angel wing,” condition, marked by a deformed wing and spindly features that poke out at right angles.

“Bread is bad, bad, bad,” said Michele Goodman of the Webbed Foot Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic in Connecticut. “Bread is actually like junk food for waterfowl,” Goodman added. “Handouts such as whole slices of bread, pizza crusts and bagels can actually cause birds to choke to death. Feeding birds also can cause them to lose their natural fear of humans, and that can lead to aggression.”"
http://www.spokanecity.org/services/articles/?ArticleID=1850

The "too much protein" theory never made sense to me at all. Protein in most animals (including people) is rather self-limiting. While too much protein in human diets gets blamed for all kinds of illness, actual testing of that theory shows excess protein is only a problem when there is an absence of the necessary fats (essential fatty acids).

In many primates that were assumed to be vegetarian, it wasn't until animal protein was added to their diets that they successfully bred in captivity. Captive gorillas are having more and more issues with heart disease and obesity because their zoo diet is high in soy, wheat and corn...things they were not designed to eat.

I ended up studying animal nutrition as part of my studying human nutrition. If there are dietary causes for health issues, a LOT of them can be traced to sugars and starches. Soy, wheat, and corn are often the source.

Quote:
I think this is 'right on' information. I feed turkey grower pellets and game bird crumble to all of my poultry. No angel wing once I went to high protein!

Carbs kill! Well, anyway, too many present a problem, especially soy and corn.

Back
Top Bottom