New sex links

dolly85

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2010
So, I went and got some red sex link chickens (AKA Comets?) because my other two hens haven't started to lay yet. Apparently the reason these chickens are laying already is because the guy lights his coop at night giving his chickens 16 hours of straight daylight! I figured the 12 we were getting was good enough, apparently not.
hu.gif

My new chickens were hatched in April, same as the other two I have but are MUCH smaller. Is it just the difference in breeds?

Here are some pictures of my new chickens in the chicken tractor....

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

My original hens that I got as chicks. I think the black one is a JG or black austrolorp.... She is heavy set, large, and has blackish feet with yellow bottoms. I think the other one is an EE as she has greenish legs with yellow bottoms, pea comb and a small beard ( no muffs). Their parents were assorted purebred brown egg layers from a hatchery and these guys were sold as mixed brown egg layers so who knows what is in their background!!!! They are both probably mixes as the assorted hatchery parents were all mixed together.

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

The bottom two are probably not related, they dont share the comb characteristics. The one on the left looks to be a black star, and the other one could be a easter egger if it has the "wild feathers" underneath the eyes.

I was so excited to find two eggs from my new chickens this morning! They tasted great in my pancakes.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom