New silkie acting odd ~ perhaps blind?

Jun 21, 2011
North Central, MO
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
White Silkie cockerel - unsure of age, guess 2 to 3 months - about a pound

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Would not leave carrier when others ran out upon opening door. Stays in one place for most part. Will not eat or drink. Panting. Peeping at times like in distress. Others now under board in shade, he is still standing around near where I stood him over an hour ago (yes it's shady).
I'm wondering if he is blind or partially so. No big flinch reaction when I dart hand toward face but does appear to blink. What do I look for exactly to determine if his sight is affected? Not seeing him run into things, he won't move for the most part.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
He was a 'freebie' when I purchased other birds today. I did not examine him closely at breeder because I didn't plan to bring him home.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Nothing new - bird has horribly curled toes on one foot. Steps on his own feet at times.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Transporting to our home.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have seen him eat or drink nothing. I tried dipping beak in water several times.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Not seen him go yet.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Observing and looking over for signs of trauma.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Will treat myself or cull if necessary.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Not much to see, looks like a white silkie standing or laying down
hmm.png

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Just brought home, unsure of previous conditions but from a large local breeder. Farm is NPIP and he is famous for his peafowl so assume very good. For Bio-Security we did not go to pen area.

edited to add - he is alert. Appears to be looking or listening to sounds.

Last edited:
I would try to get some liquid in him first. Get some water with a splash of gatorade and drip it on the top of his beak. It may be stress or heat or lice or mites.

Back
Top Bottom