New silkie owner

Mshine92

Chirping
Jan 25, 2021
Hi guys! I'm a new chicken mom, yesterday adopted two 4 month old silkies from a crowded environment. I have sooooo many questions, it's like having a child- maybe not as much but I'm like high stress on making sure they're okay. They're so far safe in my garage on some sawdust- the delivery of their coop is being delayed a week for shipping issues, but I am also considering keeping them in my garage long term for where their coop stays and letting them out into the backyard for a couple hours a day. I say this because my garage is concrete, but also temperature controlled, a d I live in goodyear arizona with harsh heat and winters. Theyre eating crumble with probiotics in it, they have a separate bowl of grit, and a no drown water bowl- even tho it seems like they're big enough to not drown in their own. I'm a vet tech so high alert about disease, their stool appear normal, I have a black one and tan, the black ones stool is formed, the tan ones stool is more runny. No blood in it. ( Coccidiosis ran thru my mind) I am slightly concerned about their tail region feathers ( sorry, still learning all the terms), they seem to not have grown in yet but there are pin feathers in place. They look better than when I first picked them up- they've been actively cleaning themselves since they got comfortable in their new home yesterday, so I am wondering if it was the stress of being raised with 35 other chickens in what seemed like a 12x12 box with only hay .i have checked for ectoparasites, and do not see any at all. Attached is a pic from when I first picked them up. This is the tan one. Same appearance on the black one.any advice? Or do they just need some time?

Attachments

• PXL_20210124_183154650.jpg
    PXL_20210124_183154650.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 20
Welcome! I am also a Silkie momma and a Vet Tech (exciting when I saw ectoparasites used!). Also new to chickens about a year into being a crazy chicken lady. Started with two for egg purposes then a friend got me onto the Silkies and now we have 35 birds and an incubator going right now. I warn you, it is addicting haha!

Would love to see some full body shots of your girls !

Back
Top Bottom