New Silkie Rooster make a weird cawing noise not sure if it is a mating call...

Silkielover1104

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Exeter, New Hampshire
I bought a Silkie about 3 months ago thinking it was a hen. This morning I come to find that it is a Rooster. Walking out to the coop the the sounds of " cock a do a doo" he only crowed 6 times and hasn't crowed all day. BUT he has been making this weird noise. it sounds that a cawing noise. He is in a pen with three other hens.. I am not sure if this is a mating call, or if this is just normal for a rooster. He is showing no other signs of a Rooster. No crown or redness near his mouth or head... I don't think hens and make crowing noises... Just wondering what this Cawing noise is????? AND why he hasn't crowed all day only a couple of times this morning and that was it????

I can try. not sure how to upload a video on here. I might be able to up load it on to my default were I have my pictures. I will go out right now and take a video. His picture is on my default photos. He is the red Smooth Silkie. I will get back to you as soon as I have uploaded it.

Lightchick, I have upload two pics of him. I am not able to upload the video. For some reason my camera will not download it to the computer.. But he sounds like a long drawn out caaaaw, caaaw, a little high pitched... He does have the beginnings of red around the mouth and the beginnings of a crown above the beak and he has longer feathers growing on the top of his head... I do not know how to sex chickens so I only know by the crowing. But he only crowed 6 times this morning and that was it other than that he has been making this noise all day. I have three hen in with him. One is Broody, the other is laying and she has been feisty all day. very talkative and hasn't laid yet... He is eating and drink and acting normal. Just not sure about this sound?????

My rooster when started crowing sound like bad trumpet player but as he got older he sounded like a rooster but his crow is distinguishable from the rest my flock. It is funny I can be in my house and I can tell you which rooster is crowing

I agree with klilly20...when my Silkie Roosters start to crow they sound really weird...as they mature their crowing sounds better...they can make some strange sounds as they develop their crowing...I too know each Rooster by their individual crowing sound...the tones do vary with each of them.

A sure sign for a maturing Silkie male is that the wattles grow..my females do not have any wattles and the crown of the male Silkie's gets much larger as they develop...

Beautiful Silkies you have there.....

I have Rhode island reds, Barred Rock Bantam. I raised those and the rooster of each of these breeds had weird sounding crows when they were young but older they got their crowing got better. I think the Rhode islands reds has beautiful a crow I can listen to all day. Here is good one for you guys Have you ever heard a hen crow? I have a hen Dominique every morning tries to crown and that is a weird sound. It comes in two syllable sound with it starting with a high pitch then lowers on the second pitch. She tries lengthening the crow but it just even sounds more weird lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom