New silkies!

Lunes

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
I took some advice from some people on here and went with ideal poultry this time- they’re a few hours away from me and only one died in transit - I think he just got stepped on a lot, but everyone seems healthy, one has this string hanging from its butt. The other keep pecking at the string and it shrieks when they do, is it the umbilical cord thing that chicks have?? Or is it just some schmutz stuck to its butt? These chicks are so much more lively and energetic and curious than the ones I got from feather love farms, it’s like night and day!

Attachments

• F17A9761-A1D2-4E6F-8518-044E4B462DE2.jpeg
    F17A9761-A1D2-4E6F-8518-044E4B462DE2.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 6
Hello! Silkies are absolutely awesome, and you’ll never regret getting them!

That looks like it may be the umbilical cord. If the other chicks are pecking at it then you may want to cut it off…or at least shorter so that it doesn’t stick out. It’s already dried up so it shouldn’t hurt or affect the chick at all. :)

Hello! Silkies are absolutely awesome, and you’ll never regret getting them!

That looks like it may be the umbilical cord. If the other chicks are pecking at it then you may want to cut it off…or at least shorter so that it doesn’t stick out. It’s already dried up so it shouldn’t hurt or affect the chick at all. :)
Okay cool I snipped it way way shorter so that it doesn’t look so appealing to the other chicks, lol.

Some of them don’t seem to be getting the hang of drinking out of the waterer. I put droplets on the tips of my fingers and all of them drank that way but maybe they’re just not thirsty yet. They all ate finely ground crumbles, and are all so happy.

Not sure if you saw my original thread in Feb but I got shipped expensive dead chicks pretty much and was left with one sad baby. Got another locally and they both ended up being roosters, so I rehomed them. Now I have 7 new ones! Hoping at least 4 are hens lol 😆

I like to put cleaned pebbles or small stones in the waterer to encourage drinking. Their curiosity causes them to be interested in everything, so I find this to be the best, easiest, safest, and most risk-free way to teach them to drink water. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom