New Squab!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by theOEGBman, May 4, 2008.

1. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Well,

My pigeons are at it again! They hatched this little guy a day or two ago, and the other egg died while hatching. I went out today and the nest was flipped on the ground and the baby was sitting in the dirt! I grabbed it up and put it back and the momma was so happy. She was cooing and checking it out and then she plopped herself down on it. Not before I took a pic though!

[​IMG]

Here is an old pic of the parent birds. The father is the lighter one.

[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Nice looking pigeons ! i had them in black

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

you think when the parent(s) sit on the edge of the bowl it tips? Might be better to have nesting boxes? Beautiful birds and the newly hatched amaze me at how helpless they are...every breed, even the goslings!

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Awesome man! What type of pigeons are those? I really want to get some pigeons sometime here. And do they eat much? And what do you feed them?
    [​IMG]

5. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Thanks, poultry. The black ones are beautiful!

Snowy, I thought that might be it, but I just dont know how! The base of the bowl is wider, so it seems like it would be really hard to tip it. They've raised multiple babies in it before and never had the problem. I just think it wasnt pushed back all the way and it fell over the edge, I need to screw it into the board, maybe. Thanks!

Thanks, Sam! They are Kormoner/Komorner Tumblers. I have NO clue where the R goes in that name,lol. They really dont eat much, but I really dont know as my mom usually feeds them. I feed them the same stuff my other birds get. Layer Crumble/Hen Scratch. They seem to be fine on it.

6. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i hear squab is good eatin

7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Wow, what a miracle that a squab goes from that scrawny hairless potatobuglooking thing to a beautiful pigeon. Those adults are beautiful!! Good save on the baby! How many chicks though??? Did you get out to Grandma's today?

8. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Tina, I've heard the same thing!

LOL, Suz. I hear that a lot too! I think the babies are so cute. Thanks! Ummm... 5 chicks, I made a post in Raising Chicks. More hatching too, we'll see tomorrow! I'll be out there all day so I get to hang out with them and see what hatches! The camera will be with me, of course!

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I love my pigeons, Be very careful with feeding scratch mix if it has wheat in it. The ends of the kernels are very sharp and can get stuck in their crops.
    Heres where i go for my pigeon info;
    http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php
    They are the largest pigeon help site!!
    Good luck with them.

10. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Thanks for the info! The feedstore told me if was fine, and as amazing as it may be, most of the folks there do actually know stuff,lol. Im good friends with the lady in charge, and her son is really big in showing, so she is pretty bird-smart. They are picky about the scratch, they wont eat the corn, but they pick out the smaller stuff... or maybe its the other way around. I dont know, I have one bird that only eats the small stuff and another that only eats the big stuff, I cant remember!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by