New start after a tough year!

rbyfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
Weare, NH
After a tough loss last year of our whole flock to multiple predator's, we have brought home some Barred Rock hens to get started again!! We have 3 now and will be adding as we go!!

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck with your predator proofing - I have spent a small fortune on it myself :)

Greetings from Kansas, rbyfarm, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your rough go with predators - better luck this time around!!

So, just an update. Our new birds are big and beautiful! We didn't have any issues with predators this year which was GREAT! Unfortunately, our neighbors had a bit of an issue :(. But, next spring we have plans to rebuild their run. Now it's on to winter. Just had our first bit of snow up here in NH and the birds didn't really want to come out of the coop. Didn't help that we're getting 45 mph wind gusts! I haven't built the roof over the run yet but that will be done next weekend. I am thinking about using plastic sheeting on the sides to keep the wind blown snow from coming in, do you guys think it's worth while? My reasoning for it is that we get a lot of snow and usually get some pretty good snow drifts up on the mountain. I want to make sure they are able to get out and mill around during the winter. By the way our new birds are Plymouth barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom