New store bought coop

We're in Boise, Idaho.
I knew where Boise is....but.....
Welcome to BYC! @Boise-girls
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1622033437535.png

Those new holes are a massive upgrade on that pre-fab house/run.

Nicely done. One question, regarding an oft overlooked, but definitely superior place to locate 24/7 draft free ventilation (admittedly, I'd have gone shorter and wider, internal structure permitting, located a little higher - but that's a mere quibble).

If you could capture this experience in a guide, you would be doing the community a real service.

1622035601310.png

TO GALVESTON WADER: Follow the advice and make that run impregnable! I have two hens in a store-bought coop (given to me -- the price was right). I lock the outside door, then pull over a heavy steel 4x4 ft cage to block the door further. ( Raccoons are good at opening doors with slideing bars.) I heard my hens making a racket at 4a.m. the other morning and ran outside to scare off what I think was a coyote. He had been digging a pretty darn deep hole into the run PAST the door, between the door and the edge of the thing. Anchoring the corners WILL NOT SUFFICE!!! Now I have a really heavy ceramic pot about 2 ft high sitting in that hole. The back is against the house, and only one side is now "open" so to speak. And I' still worried! Going to brick up the whole thing. During the day they have free foraging but they also have lots of cover and trees and things. And a greenhouse to escape into. But predators are ALWAYS AROUND, waiting, licking their chops! Oh, and I'd put at least one of those roosts even higher -- maybe a foot high -- so the hen can choose. Oh, ... and because of your location and the name you chose ... do you having flooding? That's another whole ball of wax.

Back
Top Bottom