New store bought coop

GalvestonWader

Chirping
Apr 5, 2021
Texas
I know.... everyone I talked to said don't waste my money on a store bought coop. But I am renting a house at the moment while we build our home and didn't want to spend the time/money building a more permanent coop at the rental house. I studied many online coops and finally decided on the Precision XL Superior from Tractor Supply. It was delivered to the house and first thing me and the kids did was spend numerous evenings painting every square inch of this thing, inside and out. Then we took it outside and assembled it. Everything went together very easily.

Once assembled I needed to make a few modifications. The 2 roost bars inside were too low so I raised them up a couple inches. Also, I wasn't happy with the ventilation. I cut a large opening on the front of the coop, an additional window above the existing window, and took out the glass on the side door to allow more air. All new holes were covered with hardware cloth. Now I have exactly 4 sq ft of ventilation for my (4) birds. And actually when the main door leading to the run is opened it has another sq ft more.

Overall I am very happy with this coop. If I can get a few years out of this one I'd say it was worth it. I think the paint will help it's longevity and I set it on bricks so that it's not sitting on the ground. I will anchor down all four corners really tight to keep it in place. Here's some pics of the coop, and of the birds in their new home.
coop.jpg
coop2.jpg
coop4.jpg
coop5.jpg
coop3.jpg

I know.... everyone I talked to said don't waste my money on a store bought coop. But I am renting a house at the moment while we build our home and didn't want to spend the time/money building a more permanent coop at the rental house. I studied many online coops and finally decided on the Precision XL Superior from Tractor Supply. It was delivered to the house and first thing me and the kids did was spend numerous evenings painting every square inch of this thing, inside and out. Then we took it outside and assembled it. Everything went together very easily.

Once assembled I needed to make a few modifications. The 2 roost bars inside were too low so I raised them up a couple inches. Also, I wasn't happy with the ventilation. I cut a large opening on the front of the coop, an additional window above the existing window, and took out the glass on the side door to allow more air. All new holes were covered with hardware cloth. Now I have exactly 4 sq ft of ventilation for my (4) birds. And actually when the main door leading to the run is opened it has another sq ft more.

Overall I am very happy with this coop. If I can get a few years out of this one I'd say it was worth it. I think the paint will help it's longevity and I set it on bricks so that it's not sitting on the ground. I will anchor down all four corners really tight to keep it in place. Here's some pics of the coop, and of the birds in their new home.
View attachment 2647752View attachment 2647753View attachment 2647754View attachment 2647758View attachment 2647759
You did a good job!
I'd go a step further and attach a 2' predator apron around the perimeter of the "run". This will anchor it the ground better and prevent digging into the open area. Then you can leave the pop door open 24/7.
What is the size of the gap between the framing and the roof? It looks like 3/4". You may want to try to secure that area.
Will you allow them out of the open area of the coop into a larger run or free range them?

You should write this up as an article on modifying a pre-fab to work better. Love your little metal awning! Is it roof flashing or something else?

Since you're in a hot climate you should monitor the temperatures inside the coop. If it still gets hotter inside than out I suggest that you take the siding off the entire wall facing into the run and replace it with wire.

Well that didnt take long. I dont think this little coop had enough room for my birds to roam so I added another run this weekend. I used some 2 x 2's and hardware cloth to give them an additional 8' x 8' in the run. They seem happy.

It's not 100% complete yet. Still have to cover the top with hardware cloth and finish hanging the door. And yes Chickenclaude, I will anchor the whole thing down tonight

Attachments

• coop6.jpg
    coop6.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 35
  • coop8.jpg
    coop8.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 35
  • coop9.jpg
    coop9.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 33
YOU have done a beautiful job....my daughters was slightly smaller and a black bear picked it up and twisted the nesting boxes completely off...thankfully the girls “flew” to safety in the brambles but the house was destroyed.

I also have that coop. Like you, I raised the inside roosts, added an outside run, and increased the ventilation, but not as much as you did. Great job! I also shortened the ramp, put a small landing pad at the end, and added 1x2 steps to the ramp. My banties are much more comfortable going up the ramp now.

However - the inside area is too small for my six banties. One of them isn't being "allowed" inside - she sleeps at the door. I've tried adding another roost inside. Am thinking about enlarging the coop by adding walls to the built-in run so that it's all coop.

Those new holes are a massive upgrade on that pre-fab house/run.

Nicely done. One question, regarding an oft overlooked, but definitely superior place to locate 24/7 draft free ventilation (admittedly, I'd have gone shorter and wider, internal structure permitting, located a little higher - but that's a mere quibble).

If you could capture this experience in a guide, you would be doing the community a real service.

1622035601310.png

You should write this up as an article on modifying a pre-fab to work better. Love your little metal awning! Is it roof flashing or something else?

Since you're in a hot climate you should monitor the temperatures inside the coop. If it still gets hotter inside than out I suggest that you take the siding off the entire wall facing into the run and replace it with wire.
I like this idea as well. Maybe attach hinges & latches to the wall panel so it can be closed in cooler/winter weather. Like a reverse storm door. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom