1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New surrounding for hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homeschoolchickens, Sep 23, 2008.

1. homeschoolchickens

homeschoolchickens New Egg

Sep 23, 2008
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Hi, We just got our first chickens. They were laying at the farm we got them from. How long should it take for them to adjust and start laying eggs. Look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    took my chickens about a week to adjust . INFACT , chickens are weird . Anytime you make a change in their routine , they stop laying for a day or 2 . Even so much as cleaning out the coop or adding new chickens to the flock ....

I hope the people that you bought them from were honest with you about them laying tho ,
    because I bought 6 hens and they were supposedly ALL laying , NOT SO ... 3 were and 3 were not . and that was 3 months ago and the other 3 still have not laid the 1st. egg yet .

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    In my experience, it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on the situation and the birds. Good luck!

4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    [​IMG]

5. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] i'm glad theres more than 1 homeschooler here!

6. homeschoolchickens

Sep 23, 2008
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Thanks,

The guy I bought them from is a friend I had been buying eggs from. He gave me an assortment of ages. I feel really good about buying them from him. I was skeptical about buying from others who listed in our local paper. I guess I just have to be patient with them.

Thanks
    Sheila
    [​IMG]

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:How old are they and what breeds ?

8. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    [​IMG]

9. homeschoolchickens

Sep 23, 2008
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Liz,

I have rhode island reds, 1 is a roo. I don't know the exact ages, but they are all under 1 year old. The man I bought them from got them as chicks and we have been going to his farm since he started doing this a little over a year ago.

Sheila

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by