New Thermo/Humidity Reader Help

Gatekeeper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Louisiana
I had an old Thermo/Humidity Combo - I didnt trust it ... I just bought an Acu-Rite which is reading a lot different temps/humidity than the old one by 1.5 degrees and 20% humidity. Without buying a 3rd setup what should I do?

Anyone have any experience with Acu-Rite? I know a bit late to change horses in the middle of the stream.

Gate

I don't trust the AccuRite brand. I bought three of them at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and all three failed the salt test miserably (off by 11-14 percentage points).

I also bought a Smithfield/Taylor ($7-$8.) also at Wal-Mart, and it registered within 2 % points of what it should have. Two percentage points I can adjust for and feel okay with.

Now I've got a second S/T in the bag with the salt. I'm hoping it does as well.

Susan

I know a lot of people use the acu-rite and seem to have good results with it.

You can do a salt test, to check the accuracy of the hygrometer.

Here are the directions I followed, I think they came from Speckled Hen:

You can calibrate a hydrometer by mixing in a bowl 1/4 cup of salt in 1/2 cup water.

Place bowl inside a zip lock baggie with your hydrometer. After at least 8 hours, your hygrometer should read 75%.

If it says, for example 80% you know that it is reading 5% to high and then you can make adjustments in your readings.

edited to say:
>>lol I guess I should bite my tongue. Not every one has had good experience with them I guess. My hygrometer is a Taylor and when I did the salt test it was way off.<<

Last edited:
I use Acu-rites, have for years and do not have a problem with them...I change the batteries before every hatch and take them out as soon as the hatch is over.....dry the acru-rite out and use for the next hatch...I've only had to buy two in all those years....

I don't do the salt test either....

Last edited:
Quote:
One thing. I think the salt test proportions quoted above are off. I think what you want to do is pour salt into a small container and add just enough water to make it like damp sand. It shouldn't be a liquid. The salt should still have some body to it; you should be able to push it around rather than having it flow. I know that I have read those same proportions several times, but they produce a solution rather than the consistency that I have been led to believe is correct.

Susan

P.S.

Maybe the best thing to do with an AccuRite is just use it and NOT test it.
wink.png

I have an Acu Rite the temp is off by 1.5, but i know! I have a "Master" calibrating thermometer from Philadelphia Instruments ASTM certified it reads from 94-106* this what I judge all my thermometers by. Then I know where I'm at.

Last edited:
Yes, the salt/water proportions are backward, actually. I think I corrected it in a recent post. You really dont need that much of either, just some really damp salt will do, a couple of Tablespoons of it should even work.

Back
Top Bottom