New this week, roosting in trees, how to stop it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mentzer6, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Mentzer6

Mentzer6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    I don't know what the deal is, but my roughly 3 month olds are taking to the trees above the coops! First it was 3, didn't even know it until they were out before I let everyone else out the next morning. Then, 6 started doing it and now 10 tonight. They are too high for me to get to them, but I know a predator wouldn't have trouble. So, anyone have any advice on how to get them to STOP it? They don't go up into the trees during the day at all. And, not sure what happens if we have a thunderstorm at night. We lock up the coops so nothing gets to them. Had my black Naked Neck disappear this week and am super paranoid now.......

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Gee with that many it will be a chore, but if you can catch them during the day, do a little wing clipping and then put them in the coop for a few days...wow the thought of that is making me tired already... I rescued some chicken years ago and they did that, what a time I had I got most of them back in the coop at night but 3 were so wild I couldn't get them, but the owls did. good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by