New to all of this

mikilee

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 15, 2014
HI! I am new to chickens and forums! I moved onto a farm about a month ago and with the house I also acquired a peacock and some chickens. The chickens are free range. There is a coop on the property but I have not seen them use it, they seem to prefer to go under the porch.

I have no idea on the breed although my research so far might point to Easter Eggers. I have 2 roosters that are dark brown with tan neck/head. 2 dark brown hens, 1 white hen, 1 tan hen, 1 mottled dark brown and tan hen and one dark brown bird that I have not decided if it is a hen or rooster (I admit, I know NOTHING about chickens).

This past Saturday one of our hens, the mottled one, came out for breakfast and had 4 chicks in tow!

In one months time I have went from someone that HATED birds to a fanatic about my chickens.

Thank you for the pointers! I will try to get better pictures of them tonight to post in the forum about breed and gender. The learning center is probably where I will be spending a lot of time!
big_smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a cute flock! Mountain Peeps has left you with a link to the learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock. And if you can, get them trained to sleeping in the coop. Once the predators find your birds, you can lose them all.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

We are working on setting something up for them. The coop seems too small for the number of chickens we have so we were planning on using part of a shed for them. We put the new chicks and momma in the shed last weekend and discovered when it rained yesterday that the shed leaks really bad :( We are looking into a way to fix the roof and build perches before winter.

Can you at least temporarily protect mama and babies , so they will not get wet and chilled by the leaking shed ? Their future is not good if that doesn't happen asap. If you lock the others inside their for a few days, before letting them out again, they should learn the coop is HOME and come back at dusk each day to roost inside the coop. Spending their nights outside is just flirting with death(predators) and once preds find them they will keep coming back till they get every last one of them.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What a cute flock, adorable chicks. You've gotten some good advice and suggestions above.

Back
Top Bottom