New to all of this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mikilee, Oct 15, 2014.

1. mikilee

mikilee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2014
    HI! I am new to chickens and forums! I moved onto a farm about a month ago and with the house I also acquired a peacock and some chickens. The chickens are free range. There is a coop on the property but I have not seen them use it, they seem to prefer to go under the porch.

I have no idea on the breed although my research so far might point to Easter Eggers. I have 2 roosters that are dark brown with tan neck/head. 2 dark brown hens, 1 white hen, 1 tan hen, 1 mottled dark brown and tan hen and one dark brown bird that I have not decided if it is a hen or rooster (I admit, I know NOTHING about chickens).

This past Saturday one of our hens, the mottled one, came out for breakfast and had 4 chicks in tow!

In one months time I have went from someone that HATED birds to a fanatic about my chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. mikilee

Oct 15, 2014
    Thank you for the pointers! I will try to get better pictures of them tonight to post in the forum about breed and gender. The learning center is probably where I will be spending a lot of time! [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

What a cute flock! Mountain Peeps has left you with a link to the learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock. And if you can, get them trained to sleeping in the coop. Once the predators find your birds, you can lose them all.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] In regards to the chickens not using the coop, it is much safer for them to go into a predator proof coop/run at night then to sleep under the porch. Lots of animals like to eat chickens. Have you checked out the Learning Center? https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

6. mikilee

Oct 15, 2014
    We are working on setting something up for them. The coop seems too small for the number of chickens we have so we were planning on using part of a shed for them. We put the new chicks and momma in the shed last weekend and discovered when it rained yesterday that the shed leaks really bad :( We are looking into a way to fix the roof and build perches before winter.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Can you at least temporarily protect mama and babies , so they will not get wet and chilled by the leaking shed ? Their future is not good if that doesn't happen asap. If you lock the others inside their for a few days, before letting them out again, they should learn the coop is HOME and come back at dusk each day to roost inside the coop. Spending their nights outside is just flirting with death(predators) and once preds find them they will keep coming back till they get every last one of them.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

It looks like you have a nice flock!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What a cute flock, adorable chicks. You've gotten some good advice and suggestions above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by