1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to all this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Creature lover, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Creature lover

Creature lover New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Hi guys, I'm a new member. New to chicken rearing but have been waiting yrs to be able to have my own chickens! Finally did it - we have 28 almost a week old baby black rock cross chicks that we ordered from a hatchery. All seem to be doing well so far, made it through pasty butt and now needing to move them to a bigger brooder as they're trying to fly already! BYC has been a life saver for my research before and after chicks. Thanks!!!! Any advice for newbies? :)

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Creature lover, [​IMG] Not much advice, it sounds like you are doing great! I will upload a picture of my brooder for 20 chickens, maybe you could get some ideas from that. Have fun! Ask questions!

3. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4'x5' x 4 feet tall. 1 square foot per chicken, if you have 20 chickens. This is pretty much as small as you can get for 20 chickens. If I want to get more next year, (30 or so) I have to make it bigger.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Creature lover [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

If you have any questions about raising your chicks, this is a good Forum on which to post them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Best wishes
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Creature lover

Creature lover New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Have you found 4 feet tall enough, now mine are approx 13 days old they are really starting to jump and fly a lot. We have them in a larger brooder now but need to extend the height today for sure. If they get out I'm sure they'd die of cold being away from the heat and unable to get back in!

8. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Where is it that you live? I would say 4' is tall enough for a few more weeks, but it just depends on how long you intend to keep them in there. I have mine out in their own tractor coop by 2 weeks old, but I'm in FL and it's already in the 80s here during the day.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and a belated [​IMG]!

10. Creature lover

Creature lover New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    We're in British Columbia, Canada. It got to 21C today so 69F but normally 10-15 (50-60) this time of year. I've heard to wait till they feather out to put them outside so around 1 mth I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by