New to all this

Creature lover

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2017
Hi guys, I'm a new member. New to chicken rearing but have been waiting yrs to be able to have my own chickens! Finally did it - we have 28 almost a week old baby black rock cross chicks that we ordered from a hatchery. All seem to be doing well so far, made it through pasty butt and now needing to move them to a bigger brooder as they're trying to fly already! BYC has been a life saver for my research before and after chicks. Thanks!!!! Any advice for newbies? :)

Hello Creature lover,
welcome-byc.gif
Not much advice, it sounds like you are doing great! I will upload a picture of my brooder for 20 chickens, maybe you could get some ideas from that. Have fun! Ask questions!

4'x5' x 4 feet tall. 1 square foot per chicken, if you have 20 chickens. This is pretty much as small as you can get for 20 chickens. If I want to get more next year, (30 or so) I have to make it bigger.

G’Day from down under Creature lover
frow.gif
Welcome & Congratulations!

If you have any questions about raising your chicks, this is a good Forum on which to post them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Have you found 4 feet tall enough, now mine are approx 13 days old they are really starting to jump and fly a lot. We have them in a larger brooder now but need to extend the height today for sure. If they get out I'm sure they'd die of cold being away from the heat and unable to get back in!

Where is it that you live? I would say 4' is tall enough for a few more weeks, but it just depends on how long you intend to keep them in there. I have mine out in their own tractor coop by 2 weeks old, but I'm in FL and it's already in the 80s here during the day.

We're in British Columbia, Canada. It got to 21C today so 69F but normally 10-15 (50-60) this time of year. I've heard to wait till they feather out to put them outside so around 1 mth I guess.

Back
Top Bottom