New to Back Yard Chickens!

Hi, I'm new to chicken keeping and just got my first chickens last Thursday. We have 5 Rhode Island Red's and 3 White Leghorns who are all around 19 weeks old. Can't wait for my first egg! Here are some pics of the coop (bought) and run (made by my very handy husband).
You have some excellent layers and should gets lots of large, brown and white eggs from them. Your husband did a good job building the coop. It looks very nice. One thing you might want to consider is putting a roof over the top of the run to keep the rain out of it. It's surprising how fast chickens can turn a wet grass patch into a mud hole.

Hi Michael, the run has a solar roof panel over half its length, so that they can come outside but still be protected against the elements. We also ran boards around part of the outside, about a foot or so up for the same reason.

Hi Michael, the run has a solar roof panel over half its length, so that they can come outside but still be protected against the elements. We also ran boards around part of the outside, about a foot or so up for the same reason.

That will definitely help. You may decide after a few rains that you will want to extend that solar panel over the entire roof. Also, if you find you have problems with mud, I would suggest putting either a layer of fine pea gravel, or a coarse river sand with small pebbles in it on the floor of your run.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom