New to backyard chickens! Hello from Central Florida!

mrsmitchem

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Florida
Hey everyone! I'm new to owning chickens, I'll be picking up my 3 red star chicks next week and I can't wait! All I've done this last week on my free time it feels like is learn and learn about chickens! Lol. My husband and I are wanting our own fresh organic eggs:) one thing that boggles my mind is how limited organic grain is around here! I'm talking true organic non gmo with no corn and no soy. Why is that? Does anyone know of any local place around ocala/leesburg florida area that carries this type of feed? I ordered my first bag of naturally free chick starter from Scratch and Peck, they seem like a great company! I don't mind ordering but I'd rather just take a short drive if possible! Anywho, I'm glad I found backyard chicken.com seems like a great place with a lot of great advice!

images

Welcome to BCY!

And congrats on the soon to be new chicks!

Yes, it is easier to find the Organic Non GMO feed than it is to find it without corn and soy as well. You might want to chat with your chicken neighbors in your state thread to find out where you might find this feed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Enjoy this new adventure you are on AND your new babies!!!

Hi!! I am also in the Ocala area!! I've been looking like crazy to find organic food that won't break my wallet, but so far the best I can find is a shop in Gainesville (Alachua County Feed & Seed) that carries Countryside Organic. I don't know if it's corn/soy free though! I've really wanted to find a mill that makes their own mix, but unfortunately there isn't one very close :( I'm almost tempted to just make my own from grains, sprouts, seeds, etc, but the cost of that is very prohibitive for just my small flock of 6! :(

Back
Top Bottom