New to Backyard Chickens - Hi :)

Angela Gazey

Hatching
6 Years
May 30, 2013
Western Australia
Hi, I'm Angela - I've used the backyard chickens site for a while now . . . figured it was time to join up and say hello :)
However I did wait until I had a question about one of my chickens!
I have a mixed flock of cross breed Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, a Golden Campine and one unidentified brown laying breed (a rescue).
They were, until recently, free range over an acre - then we had problem with the neighbours dogs (ours are great with chickens).

Welcome to BYC
jumpy.gif

welcome-byc.gif

neighbors dogs are most likely in the top 5% of chicken issues. in ohio the law states that we can shoot the dogs if they are attacking our flocks, with no warnings to the dog's owners. I typically use a b.b. gun to scare them off the first time, and warn the dog's owners. if the dog shows up a second time, I catch it and have the dog warden pick it up. the owner then typically gets a fine. I wont say what I do on the third time, but im sure you can imagine.
this only works if it happens on your property.

in my area its best to pen them up. we have a lot of mink, coon, and coyote. I use dogs to help keep the wild animals away. not sure about a lot of other breeds but blue heelers can be trained to work with chickens, and are very protective of the flock if properly trained.

Back
Top Bottom