New to backyard chickens. I have 6 mini Rhode Island reds. I live in Phoenix AZ

Chickie House

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2020
I am looking for suggestions on how to keep my coop clean and cool
A5C4DD33-44CF-43BF-B702-3019FB5D2263.jpeg
027DF9B7-5C1A-4D52-AC94-F698FBFBC7FF.jpeg
6A605B2B-334E-4633-A3A9-1AEBB0637C4F.jpeg

Hi! Welcome to BYC! Very cute coop! Love the umbrellas! The way I keep my coop clean is to clean it every day. I do "spot cleaning" daily with full cleaning, taking all the straw or shavings out and putting in fresh, once or twice a week, depending on the need or season. Spot cleaning includes scooping out just the soiled straw or shavings. I don't have to find ways to keep my coop cool as it is not all that hot here ever. But, I have read other people put fans in the window, set to pull air out, not in. Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Your shade looks good. Add a couple of high powered fans, wet the floor down and it helps cool the air and the bedding. Cool feet mean cool birds. I've seen my birds all line up in front of my big turbo fan on hot days, beak to the wind, feathers blowing, they love it! Also cool treats like watermelon, ice in the water fonts.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

:welcome

The shade you've already provided is a big help! One of the things I had when we lived in FL was a coop where I could remove the solid doors and replace them with hardware cloth doors (sort of like screen doors).

Best of luck to you with your flock...it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom