New to Backyard Chickens

Cshewitt

Hatching
Sep 22, 2016
Wellington County, Ontario
Hi all, greetings from Ontario, Canada.....in the process of purchasing a hobby farm, near Markdale, Ontario. Have decided to begin my new career raising a few chickens, but having done months of research and falling in love with chickens....I think this may not be the one or two I was thinking about. I get a question in my mind and then after reading and browsing for answers, I get completely side-tracked and forget what I had originally set out looking for...lol.
Of course everyone knows there are no 'stupid' questions....well, I think I may have one.....
Do chickens 'urinate'..?...Honestly, have never seen anyone write about it.....and, of all the plans I have seen, is it ok to put chicken wire, hardware cloth, etc on the 'bottom' of their run.....to make it predator proof...nothing can dig under and the grass etc grows through the wire, they can get at bugs etc.
Thank you everyone....and I'm very excited about getting started.....!!

HI!
welcome-byc.gif

Hi all, greetings from Ontario, Canada.....in the process of purchasing a hobby farm, near Markdale, Ontario. Have decided to begin my new career raising a few chickens, but having done months of research and falling in love with chickens....I think this may not be the one or two I was thinking about. I get a question in my mind and then after reading and browsing for answers, I get completely side-tracked and forget what I had originally set out looking for...lol.
Of course everyone knows there are no 'stupid' questions....well, I think I may have one.....
Do chickens 'urinate'..?...Honestly, have never seen anyone write about it.....and, of all the plans I have seen, is it ok to put chicken wire, hardware cloth, etc on the 'bottom' of their run.....to make it predator proof...nothing can dig under and the grass etc grows through the wire, they can get at bugs etc.
Thank you everyone....and I'm very excited about getting started.....!!
Chickens do NOT urinate... their urine come out with their feces
smile.png

I personally think that the wire will work, but i wouldn't do it only because then hennies like to scratch in the dirt
D.gif

Thanks Troyergal...I forgot to mention, they would be free-range, but only when I am outside around with them.....the run would be portable to Of course, my plans are likely to change a million times by the time I actually start to build....just want to cover every angle. the 'coup' would be built where the dust bath, etc were all permanently placed.

A wire predator apron at ground level around exterior of run is a good idea. I would not recommend a hardware cloth or a fencing floor as TroyerGal stated, they like to scratch and have solid footing as a henhouse floor.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! Congrats on chicken keeping! No, chickens do not urinate. Their urine comes out with their feces as @TroyerGal said.
A wire predator apron at ground level around exterior of run is a good idea. I would not recommend a hardware cloth or a fencing floor as TroyerGal stated, they like to scratch and have solid footing as a henhouse floor.
thumbsup.gif
You have been given some great advice, so I will just say have a great time on here and best wishes!
smile.png

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here! The urine in a chickens feces is the white you see in the feces. (someone correct me if I am wrong) I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

Back
Top Bottom