New to Backyard Chickens!

HuckleberryAcres

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2019
Northern California
Hi! I’ve had chickens most of my life but have never really KNOWN how to raise chickens. I sold my dream flock at the beginning of the year and am ready to get a few more hens for fresh eggs. We are currently buying the lumber to build a new coop/tractor. I joined a goat forum (the goat spot, awesome place) and have learned sooo much from it that I thought I would try joining here to learn more about chickens and how to raise them. I have an incubator full of guinea eggs from the local flock laying in my garden (I don’t want the flock to get bigger, they’re a big enough pain as it is. My plan is to sell the keets). I also have three young Blue Slate turkeys in the old coop. We plan to butcher one tom for thanksgiving, and allow the other two birds to breed and build a nest before we butcher the second. We also raise Nigerian goats, have a dog and two cats.

Untitled drawing-3.jpg

I sold my flock mostly because I was having a hard time caring for them correctly. They were way too cramped in an incredibly poorly built coop, they weren’t getting quality feed and the kicker was when the coop became infested with rats. It didn’t help that I was in the early stages of pregnancy and even the thought of eggs cooking would send me to the nearest trash can. I don’t currently have any chickens but when the new coop is done, I plan on buying 4-6.

Back
Top Bottom