New to BackYard Chickens.

JTex81

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Hey I'm new to this, I am currently getting 8 chicks this May and I am going to be building a chicken tractor to house them in. I was thinking 6' x 4' with a 2' attached house for their nesting boxes. Like I said I'm new to this and I am up for any suggestions. I live in Maine so I need to build my chicken tractor to handle the cold weather up here.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. Hopefully you can find coop plans that fit your needs in the coop design section.
frow.gif

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. My suggeston is to get fewer birds or build a bigger tractor. You should provide 4 sq ft per bird. It is really better to have more room than needed because if chickens are crowded it create a tense living environment and feather picking, fighting and caniballism problems arise. Just my 2 cents worth. :jumpy

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
There are some great coop designs in the coops section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Have a look there and see what you like. Over winter it's important that the coop stays dry inside, is well ventilated, but draught free, to prevent frostbitten combs and feet.

Greetings from Kansas, Jtex81, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I agree with the above post - peruse the coops sections and make sure you make it as predator proof as possible. Good luck and happy building!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. My suggeston is to get fewer birds or build a bigger tractor. You should provide 4 sq ft per bird. It is really better to have more room than needed because if chickens are crowded it create a tense living environment and feather picking, fighting and caniballism problems arise. Just my 2 cents worth.
jumpy.gif
x2

Back
Top Bottom