1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to BackYard Chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by the little zoo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. the little zoo

the little zoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Hello.
    I am new the the forum & would just like to introduce myself & to say any advice to me as a newby to chickens would be very appreciated
    My name is Sharon & I live in Alnwick, Northumberland.
    I have 2 sikie Bantam hens who just laid there first 2 eggs yesterday.
    I also have a few other animal's too, 2 dogs (a whippet & border terrier) 3 cats,one of which is a Manx cat. 2 ferrets & 8 snakes.
    Hence my user name of The Little Zoo, so Hello from me & my animal friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]
    So glad to have you join our flock!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with all your animals!

5. the little zoo

Sep 21, 2014
    Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Thank you for the welcome [​IMG]

When the hens lay are the eggs you take away meant to be replaced with dummy eggs? Is that what they are for, so the hens don't get stressed when the eggs get taken away?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Dummy eggs are usually used to show hens where to lay their eggs. You usually don't replace the hen's real egg with dummy eggs; they don't usually get stressed out by the eggs being taken away.

7. the little zoo

Sep 21, 2014
    Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Thanks for that, I have to admit I felt pretty bad taking the first eggs from them.

8. the little zoo

Sep 21, 2014
    Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Can anyone tell me how to upload photos onto posts?
    Tried to upload a shot of my first 2 eggs laid yesterday & the photo hasn't worked?

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on those first eggs!! Chickens are not attached to their eggs. So don't feel badly about taking them away. Unless the hen is broody and wants to hatch them, they just lay them and walk away, forgetting they even laid them. A broody will go set on them and never get off of them. LOL

If you are on a pc, uploading pics is easy. If you are on a phone, you may need to download a BYC app to be able to use all of BYC. You might try this link and see if it helps you at all...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-on-how-to-upload-pictures-onto-the-byc-forum

Good luck and enjoy your wonderful flock!

10. the little zoo

Sep 21, 2014
    Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Thanks TwoCrows.

One of my Silkies laid 2 eggs on her first day, I wad surprised she laid 2 & she has just laid another one this afternoon.
    My other hen hasn't started to lay just yet.

With regards to uploading photos, my laptop is broke so can only use my mobile & when I choose an image it then says "embedding image" but then it does nothing? :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by