New to BackYard Chickens

BlackHillsChick

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2015
Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda, and I am new to having chickens. I joined this site about a week ago and since then I have learned so much from all of the posts. I love to just read the different topics and go through the coop and breed pictures.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I bought my first 6 chicks on April 11 from a local farm/country store called Runnings.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Nine little feathered cuties

(3) What breeds do you have?I have 3 Ameraucana, 1 Red Production, 1 Mottled Java (I think this one might be a rooster), 1 Astralorp (she is a little sweetie), 1 Cinnamon Queen, 1 Dominique, and 1 Black Langshan

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I came across this site while doing some research on what breeds would do best in my area, and be good egg producers.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I like to ride motorcycles, create art, and cook

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am going to graduate on May 16 with an associates degree in Welding. I am looking forward to the work. My long term goal for it is to buy a CNC machine and then be able to produce custom metal artwork. I have 2 miniature Dachshunds, a calico cat, a couple of rescue rats, 2 guinea pigs, a 125 gallon fresh water fish tank, and 2 wonderful kids who help take care of everyone.

THANK YOU for a wonderful and informative site.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow you sure are busy!! You have some nice breeds. You can post pics of the suspected rooster in our What Breed or Gender section for a good ID....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Amanda. Glad you decided join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. :eek:) Definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there that will keep you from making beginners' mistakes. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Hi Amanda, nice to meet you. Glad you joined the BYC flock. Please keep the doxies and chickens far apart. After reading so many tales of woe from new members, it seems like Doxies really love chickens but, in the worst way. Chihuahuas and Yorkies are also on the list.

Welcome to BYC, Amanda! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice intro! Sounds like you have a lovely flock along with other great animals.

We are glad to have you! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
big_smile.png

Thank you for all the warm wishes. I will keep the dogs and chickens far apart. I definitely do not trust them. I am in the process of fencing off a section of the yard just for the chickens. They are growing so fast. I can't wait to put them in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom