New to BYC and need help with Diagnosis

Kelly N.

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
We are new to the BYC Forum and need some help...

We began raising chickens about a year and a half ago and things have been great! However, recently our girls have lightened up on laying and are losing feathers on their behinds, back of necks and on the joint of their wings. I have looked for mites, lice, larvae and the like (do I need a magnifying glass) but haven't seen any trace of them.

The girls are still eating and drinking well, but I am concerned.

Any ideas, tips, etc?

Kelly N. :

We are new to the BYC Forum and need some help...

We began raising chickens about a year and a half ago and things have been great! However, recently our girls have lightened up on laying and are losing feathers on their behinds, back of necks and on the joint of their wings. I have looked for mites, lice, larvae and the like (do I need a magnifying glass) but haven't seen any trace of them.

The girls are still eating and drinking well, but I am concerned.

Any ideas, tips, etc?

welcome-byc.gif
from Connecticut!

Sounds like they're molting to me. It's totally normal for egg production to decline when they molt. A quick search should yield additional information on molting if you're interested in learning more.

Here's my bantam Cochin Frizzle, Phoebe, who is going through the most ugly molt I can imagine (somehow she lays 5-6 eggs per week anyway!):

43104_9-12-10_phoebe_molt_2.jpg

43104_9-7-10_phoebe_molt_2.jpg

43104_8-25-10_phoebe_molt57.jpg

43104_9-4-10_phoebe_molt_belly2_21.jpg

This is what she looked like two months prior:
43104_6-19-10_37.jpg

edited to add photos

Last edited:
I suspect a serious case of MOLT!
big_smile.png

My barn looks like a wicked pillow fight was held in there. Feathers everywhere and my chickens look naked.
They should start to grow their feathers back in within a short time.

Happy chickening!

Thank you for your responses...I feel much better:D

Thank you for the pictures ADozenGirlz of the molting hen...mine are bad, but WOW!
wink.png

I will keep an eye on the girls and hope all is well.

Kelly N. :

Thank you for your responses...I feel much better:D

Thank you for the pictures ADozenGirlz of the molting hen...mine are bad, but WOW!
wink.png

I will keep an eye on the girls and hope all is well.

It helps to crank up their protein intake to help them get through it as making new feathers is protein-intensive work.​

Last edited:
We are feeding our flock 20% protein and supplementing with scratch. Is this enough or is their more we can do?

Kelly N. :

We are feeding our flock 20% protein and supplementing with scratch. Is this enough or is their more we can do?

I would stop giving them scratch entirely until they're through this stressful process. It's essentially "chicken candy" and is of no help to them during a molt (and should be given sparingly at other times). Make sure they have access to plenty of oyster shell if you're going to do the 20% feed (I assume it's not a layer feed?) b/c they need the extra calcium for hard shells. They LOVE scrambled eggs and there's no better protein treat for them!​

Quote:
I would stop giving them scratch entirely until they're through this stressful process. It's essentially "chicken candy" and is of no help to them during a molt (and should be given sparingly at other times). Make sure they have access to plenty of oyster shell if you're going to do the 20% feed (I assume it's not a layer feed?) b/c they need the extra calcium for hard shells. They LOVE scrambled eggs and there's no better protein treat for them!

The 20% is laying mash and we do supplement with oyster shell. What do you think about DE?

Kelly N. :

Quote:
I would stop giving them scratch entirely until they're through this stressful process. It's essentially "chicken candy" and is of no help to them during a molt (and should be given sparingly at other times). Make sure they have access to plenty of oyster shell if you're going to do the 20% feed (I assume it's not a layer feed?) b/c they need the extra calcium for hard shells. They LOVE scrambled eggs and there's no better protein treat for them!

The 20% is laying mash and we do supplement with oyster shell. What do you think about DE?​

I don't think DE has anything to do with molting.

Back
Top Bottom