New to BYC and new to chickens

smashleyrose

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
Creswell, OR
Hello everyone,

Last time I had chickens I was about 10 years old. My parents had converted a small shed into a coop with a run. I loved helping take care of them and loved having fresh eggs.

Now that we have acreage of our own and four helping hands, my darling boyfriend and I will be converting one of the stalls in a four stall barn into a coop with a rather large run. I'm here for your valuable advise and experience.

The stall is a 12X12 and the run is 24X24. I am planning on covering half of the run in corrugated metal roofing and the other half in wire. We plan on starting out with 6 chickens and grow from there. 6 seems manageable enough for our family (of 6!). Perhaps we will have a rooster too, but not sure what the pros and cons are.

Anywho, glad to be here and can't wait to start!

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined BYC and have chickens back in your life. Sounds like a good set up you have for them. If you want to do a little research to get you up to speed, the Learning Center is a great place. Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
In terms of the pros and cons of rooster ownership...seems like there are two camps. Some claim they are an unnecessary waste of feed while some say they have utility and wouldn't have a flock without one. I'm closer to the latter group. As long as a rooster isn't aggressive to people or mean to the the hens, I find them to be a nice addition to the farm and I love their crowing. One won't be necessary for the hens to lay eggs but will be if you ever want to hatch out any chicks. Best of luck to you! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC! Sounds like a great plan for your coop! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Thank you everyone! I'm excited to get the egg rolling on my coop and run. It's nice to get out of the house in the afternoon and play outside. Although my family is convinced I'm trying to starve them, LOL! Who has time to cook when you are building things.

Back
Top Bottom