New to BYC and new to raising chickens

DeneiseJunior

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
We have built a coop/run and purchased 8 RIR pullets, as we want to raise our own eggs. I saw an article on socializing chicks, I have to assume that with pullets that ship has sailed. Any tips on not being pecked to death as we go in to feed them and gather eggs?

images

Birds that have spent enough time with each other generally will get along. So no need to do the introduction thing with them. And of course all new birds on all new territory gets them to know each other really fast if they aren't already familiar with each other!

As for you being pecked to death...LOL...you won't have this problem. Chickens aren't attack birds that go after your flesh! If anything, they think you are out to eat THEM!! Now, reaching under a broody hen might yield you a mild pecking as she is protecting her eggs, but for the most part, chickens are very friendly and you are the alpha leader of your flock of hens.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC and enjoy your new adventure!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Older birds can still be tamed, just spending lots of time hanging out them and bringing them out treats / food they like as a routine will help. They won't come up to you right away but if they start to associate you with food they will certainly get friendlier. Some won't really like to be petted, the occasional one does or at least doesn't mind it, once they get more used to you they will climb on you if you are sitting on the grass with them feeding them, some will fly or jump on you for food. Try not to scare them or chase them, if you need to catch/handle them try to do it at night/ in the dark when they are on the roosts. Here is a thread with a good post on taming older birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813326/how-to-socialize-tame-a-timid-hen
Are they attacking you when you go in the coop???
Pecking you when you try to get eggs from the nest boxes they are sitting in is pretty normal, they should get better about that as they know you, but some will always be protective of the nest boxes (and if they go broody they usually always are). What are you doing when you go into feed, chickens tend to get excited if you come in to offer them food (whatever you have is better than what we have) but if it is really bad, I would double check what you are feeding, usually Laying hens are fed free-choice, have feed available all the time, so just coming in to top off/ fill feeders should not cause a riot.

Welcome to BYC!!
wee.gif
My chickens love to see me especially at feeding time. The only times they ever pecked me is when; they missed the food in my hand (my cochin has bad aim) or they are setting and don't want me to bother their eggs. Roosters do sometimes peck. The best fix for that is to cuddle them to death. Chickens are really sweet creatures.
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC - no one has been pecked to death in years. Although there was that guy who got drunk and fell asleep in the broiler house -----------------
hide.gif

Thanks for the replies. Even before I bought my pullets, I was researching here on BYC. Lots of information and very friendly coop keepers!

Sourland is just funning you. Chickens are omnivores and sometimes cannibals but that isn't directed at humans - so far. They do love to clean off a chicken or turkey carcass when you are finished with one.

I found the first egg today! It must have been there a couple of days, because some curious chicken had pecked a hole in it, not enough to get to the good stuff, but clear enough that a beak had done the damage. I had been waiting patiently. Now I know I need to check them daily, I had been checking every other day or so.
We are getting ready to move them to their permanent coop and run. How long will they be upset and stop laying??

Back
Top Bottom