New to BYC and raising chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wanda P, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Wanda P

Wanda P New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Greenfield Center, NY
    Hi everyone

We are new to the entire chicken process. My brother in law started raising chickens last year. We enjoyed watching him so much that we decided to raise our own. We purchased 8 sexed RIR chicks in April. However upon arrival the box that they were shipped in was badly damaged. We had 3 chicks smashed beyond recognition and another in such shock I did not think she would survive. the 5th was found at the bottom of the box she appeared smashed and dead as well only to discover while I was tending to the living that she rose from the dead..The company was fantastic and replaced 5 chickens no questions asked. I am happy to say that the 2 strugglers are healthy and alive though I have concerns as to if the one at the bottom of the box will be able to produce eggs. I did tell her if she lived she would have a home until she died. So we now have 10 RIR chickens, 1st 5 are 23 weeks and the 2nd 5 are 20 weeks.

We live in a small rural neighborhood so we don't let them free range, 1 because we have a nasty neighbor and the other reason we have had bobcats and coyotes (all seen on our game cam). They have a nice coop and a run.

We got our first egg 8/29, we were SO Excited!!! My husband and I were like children at Christmas. At the moment we only have 1 girl laying eggs but I know the others are soon to follow.. The issue is this morning I discovered a chicken (not sure if she was the egg layer or not) eating an egg (or what was left of it) in the nesting box. We keep a spotless coop (I am a bit of a neat freak) We did not have an egg yesterday so I went looking around the coop and found remnants of egg shells in the coop.

I stumbled upon BYC while searching about information on chickens eating their own eggs. I found this site to have tons of information and good suggestions. I am waiting for the feed store to open so I can run out and get the oyster shells in hopes that this will help with the issue as well as find some ceramic eggs or worse case steal some of my husbands golf balls to put in the boxes to help discourage this bad behavior.

I love my girls. They greet me at the door of the coop each day I change their water or peek on them. Very social. My dogs (2 English Springer Spaniels) are getting use to them. One got a bit to close and had her nose pecked so I don't think she will be so curious in the future.

Funny, our kids are grown and moved out and we know have the responsibility of chickens. I find it relaxing though. My friends think we have lots our minds.

I am hoping to break the egg eating soon and look forward to reading about all of the others posts and stories about chickens.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about the smashed chicks. [​IMG]Congratulations on your first egg, though!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm so sorry about your chicks!! That is horrible![​IMG] But I'm glad you are enjoying your flock! They are so unique and special! Congrats on the egg![​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am so sorry for your losses! [​IMG] That is just terrible! But I am glad you have some survivors! Sounds like you are enjoying them greatly.

I had some egg eaters this past year because I have an old hen that loves to lay plain yolks. So what I did was put curtains over my nest boxes. This makes the boxes really dark. It stops the birds from going cruising for eggs, and it keeps the ones laying from messing with the eggs too. Here is what I did...

[​IMG]
    I have since put another layer over these boxes to make it really dark inside the boxes. A solid layer and left the center open to the strands hanging down. I also keep a fake egg in each box all the time. This helps the birds that might go looking for any eggs and they see that eggs are impenetrable. I have not had a single episode of egg eating since. Give this a try and use the fake eggs. Might stop them in their egg eating tracks!

Enjoy your adventures with your birds and welcome to our flock!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your chicks, but congratulations on getting your first eggs. It's always so exciting getting those first eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You really want to stop an egg eater before the others mimic her actions.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by