New to BYC and Raising Hens

LadyLucia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Hi, I'm vegetarian, and have been wanting to raise hens for eggs for a loooong time. I've been doing research for many months and now that I'm ready for some hens, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I don't know why I thought it would be easy, or maybe it is and I'm just too picky about what hens I want. I'm looking to build a small flock (3-4 hens) from a variety of breeds (Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Sex-Link, Silkie, Star, or Easter Egger. My biggest problem is that I don't won't chicks, for fear I'll get a rooster that I can't keep (I get attached easy and I'm not allowed roosters where I live). I've been looking for young hens (5-12mths old) for over a month now, but now I'm thinking of taking my chances with chicks. I've become obsessed with finding the perfect chickens, and my boyfriend says I have chicken brain! Any suggestions on where to look for healthy pullets or hens? I stalk craigslists daily, and I've joined several farm groups on facebook, am I missing something? I'm located in Prairieville, La. and willing to travel a bit for the right hens. Any advice is welcome. :)

images
to BYC!

Good luck in all your chicken adventures and enjoy BYC!

I really love what I've been reading about Australorps, and I think 2 is a great idea. Thank you! :)

Welcome to BYC! You might want to check out mypetchicken.com, you don't have to order a huge amount of chicks and you can get a variety, and they have a 90% accuracy guarantee on pullets. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom