New to BYC and some problems with my first hens.

MyOrpingtons

Hatching
Jun 23, 2016
Hello, I've bought my first chickens and have finally signed up to the forum. I was hopping my first post would be something a little happier but I seem to be having a problem. I bought three buff orpington chick's about four months ago. They have been doing great but recently one of their beaks has started growing crooked. Every thing I have found online is about crossed beak, but that is supposed to show up pretty early in development. At least that's what I understood. My hen has only developed this problem recently and over the past week or so it has gotten progressively worse. I'm not sure if it's broken because she let's me touch it with no problem. When I force it back into alignment you can see that the bottom part of her beak is significantly longer then the top. I am thinking that maybe it needs to be trimmed, and that she would then be able to close it properly. but I don't know how to do that. Any advise would most certainly be appreciated .

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your bird. Definitely don't mess with the beak. If beaks grow in very odd fashions, you can't stop this with trimming unless it is only slightly off. There is a blood vein in the beak which you do not want to cut through either.

I would suggest you check out this thread on Cross Beaks. People there should be able to help you with advice and how to care for a bird with a crooked beak...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

You can also take your bird to an avian vet for possible trimmings, but I do not recommend you do this yourself unless you have experience with beaks.

Good luck with your bird and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

Back
Top Bottom