New to BYC, Been Raising Chickens for About 7 Years... HI!

Thank for the tip. I've had chickens for seven years and always have fed them treats. Not bread or anything, mostly herbs, lots of fruit, and some vegetables (kale, spinach, etc.). I have always pretty much an egg per day from each hen and a VERY heathy flock I give each chicken a health check each week an shave NEVER had any health problems whatsoever. They are free range and get bugs and grass in their diet as well. Thanks you for your concern but I have tried many different approaches to raising chickens and they have all seemed the healthiest on a varied diet. I think the variety is good for them and they love it. I do watch the starch on their treats and I have never had a problem with an overweight chicken. Of coarse, the score of their diet is commercial food; I do not JUST feed them scraps. I would say about 35% of their diet is made up of fruits, vegetables, herbs, bugs, and weeds. The rest is commercial.
I do not mean to be rude, just sharing my method which has worked well for me...
lol.png

I have 4 Silkies and 2 Araucana's. They are about 12 weeks old and the friendliest, most spunky and fun chickens I have ever had. I love them to death!

What kinds of chickens do you have? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Sound like a busy and fun life :).
Just wanted to tell you, I am IN LOVE with your profile picture... So cute!
ep.gif

I have 4 Silkies and 2 Araucana's. They are about 12 weeks old and the friendliest, most spunky and fun chickens I have ever had. I love them to death!

What kinds of chickens do you have? :)
We have 7 Araucanas (actually ours are Easter Eggers as true Aruacanas are tailless and lay only blue eggs). They are my granddaughter's favorite hens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. We also have 7 Black Sex Links, 7 Black Australorps, and 4 Buff Orpingtons. All of them are very friendly, and very good layers. My granddaughter has made lap pets out of our Australorps and Orpingtons. Good luck with your flock.

Hi Shelby! Welcome to BYC! Yesterday when I was trimming back the mints I was wondering what to do with all of it. I have bags & bags already dried for tea. The chickens don't really eat it. So, I was going to throw it in the compost. Now I will dry it and put it in small amounts in their nesting boxes. Great advice! Thanks!
Awesome! Glad I could help! Really any herbs that you have can be added to the nesting boxes. Fresh herbs work too if you have them on hand. Because of the essential oils in them, they will not rot or get moldy... They just slowly wilt and dry out, so feel free to add some fresh mint to the boxes as well `
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom