New to BYC, don't own chickens, only waterfowl, need help with injured goose!

Descentia

Hatching
Mar 21, 2015
Hi there, I'm Jared. We own five ducks, as well as two African geese that I'm very close to.

This one is Richard. A couple weeks ago he got rattled by our dog because she thought they could play (she's a great Pyrenees puppy who doesn't get enough interaction, and Dick always tried to bite her, never doing any damage through her thick fur). It took him a day or two before soreness in his foot set in, and he still can't walk on it.

It doesn't look any different from the other foot, other than there perhaps still being a very slight amount of swelling, but that's more likely just the curled position it's always in. He's gotten pretty good at hopping around on one foot, but I'm just worried that something more might be wrong with his foot/leg since it's taking him so long to walk on it again. For several days he's been half-trying, kind of pawing at stuff with it but never taking it out of that curled back position. We had him on water-soluble antibiotics for 2 or 3 days earlier on, and in every way he seems back to normal except for the fact that he still can't use the foot. He's tried to mate with the female a couple times and gotten really close but been unable to balance himself, and then she's liable to try to mount him after he fails! I feel so bad for him.. haha. Every stage of the recovery has been slow so I guess I just need to be patient?

Last edited:
Does he act in pain if you try to straighten out his foot? Do you think his leg could be broken? Maybe some time spent swimming would be good therapy for his leg.

I'm sorry I don't really know anything about ducks/geese. You could post in detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Also go to "Other Backyard Poultry," forum which embraces, ducks, geese, guineas, quail,etc. People on the threads would be able to offer much better advice than I can. Hope Richard will be recover soon.

Last edited:
Thank you. I think he's getting better. He's trying to use the foot more, and yes, he seems to want to pull away if I try to mess with it too much. It's hard to tell though, reptiles & birds don't give many ques.. until they're dead. I know he isn't going to die, but I just don't want him to be gimped the rest of his life because then we'd pretty much have to get another male if we wanted to have females, and then what would become of him? :/

Was this thread moved to that other category? That's what it looks like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom