New to BYC, Fairly New to Chickens

Bruthabuz

Chirping
Jul 3, 2023
Northern California
Hello to chicken enthusiasts everywhere! I'm Bruthabuz.

This is in response to the questions posed in the newcomers article.

1. My wife and I raised a small flock a few years ago. Late last year we ordered a new, larger flock that arrived as chicks 4-1/2 months ago.

2. We have 35 chickens now and they are just starting to lay eggs. We will use them for ourselves and to sell to trusted friends, not the public (don't need all the red tape, liability, don't have equipment to guarantee quality or size, etc.)

3. We have 10 Cinnamon Queens, 10 Golden Comets, 10 Easter Eggers, and 5 White Leghorns.

4. Getting to know them, or rather, them getting to know us. A few of the brown ones (I can’t tell the difference between the Queens and the Comets) are friendly. All of the others were very skittish. But within the past few days, one or two of the Easter Eggers and at least one Leghorn let us feed them from our hands.

5. Our other hobbies are church, home gardening, landscaping, camping and hiking, photography, and music.

6. My wife and I are both retired. She was retired early, in 2020 when the pandemic started. I retired in 2021 after 30 years as a service technician at one company. (I still help them out now and then when they need it). This is why we now have enough time for our chickens!

7. I found BYC through the DuckDuckGo search engine. I want to find answers to questions I have, see how others are raising or caring for their chickens, get some advice so I can be a better chicken-raiser, and see if there are any tips for making chicken-raising easier or more enjoyable.

I'm also new to the blog thing. So if I miss something, or don't reply, or I don't follow the proper rules, protocols or etiquette, don't be offended. It's entirely unintentional!

Something I left out in my intro was that aside from our 35 chickens, we have two dogs, five indoor cats (not counting the eight or so outdoor cats we take care of) and five ducks. We live on 1-1/2 acres in northern California (113 degrees last Saturday) and let our chickens free-range in the day. Naturally, they head for the nearest shade! They live in two large coops (4' x 8') inside a large (392 square feet), fenced-in run at night.

Hello to chicken enthusiasts everywhere! I'm Bruthabuz.

This is in response to the questions posed in the newcomers article.

1. My wife and I raised a small flock a few years ago. Late last year we ordered a new, larger flock that arrived as chicks 4-1/2 months ago.

2. We have 35 chickens now and they are just starting to lay eggs. We will use them for ourselves and to sell to trusted friends, not the public (don't need all the red tape, liability, don't have equipment to guarantee quality or size, etc.)

3. We have 10 Cinnamon Queens, 10 Golden Comets, 10 Easter Eggers, and 5 White Leghorns.

4. Getting to know them, or rather, them getting to know us. A few of the brown ones (I can’t tell the difference between the Queens and the Comets) are friendly. All of the others were very skittish. But within the past few days, one or two of the Easter Eggers and at least one Leghorn let us feed them from our hands.

5. Our other hobbies are church, home gardening, landscaping, camping and hiking, photography, and music.

6. My wife and I are both retired. She was retired early, in 2020 when the pandemic started. I retired in 2021 after 30 years as a service technician at one company. (I still help them out now and then when they need it). This is why we now have enough time for our chickens!

7. I found BYC through the DuckDuckGo search engine. I want to find answers to questions I have, see how others are raising or caring for their chickens, get some advice so I can be a better chicken-raiser, and see if there are any tips for making chicken-raising easier or more enjoyable.
Welcome to BYC!! :)

Back
Top Bottom