New to BYC, Fairly New to Chickens

I think that's where Bella is now. Someone is practicing fireworks...
I know. Tonight is going to be a trip for my Akita. He is 146 pounds and could take down most animals, but is scared to death of thunder and fireworks. I have the sound for the chickens a little muted for tonight. We live really, really rural, -only 162 used to be town population and everyone has a lot of acreage. But as luck would have it, our neighbor is the place for fireworks.

Thanks a lot! When I was growing up in Chicago in the 60's, my family also had a Dobie! His name was King. Strangers at the front door were afraid of him, but he wouldn't hurt a fly! He hid under the bed during thunderstorms!
Welcome to the flock! You are at the right place to learn all you need to know about Chickens and more!
And , yes with it being 4th of July our 150 lb great dane is in our laps. Big baby! Lol have a great 4th.

I'm also new to the blog thing. So if I miss something, or don't reply, or I don't follow the proper rules, protocols or etiquette, don't be offended. It's entirely unintentional!

Something I left out in my intro was that aside from our 35 chickens, we have two dogs, five indoor cats (not counting the eight or so outdoor cats we take care of) and five ducks. We live on 1-1/2 acres in northern California (113 degrees last Saturday) and let our chickens free-range in the day. Naturally, they head for the nearest shade! They live in two large coops (4' x 8') inside a large (392 square feet), fenced-in run at night.
I hear you about the temperature. Here in Florida it's 100°. Our chicken are really felling the heat. I freeze ice with their treats in it, it helps cools them down. A trick I pick up from BYC. Enjoy

Attachments

• 20230704_211857.jpg
    20230704_211857.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 2
I hear you about the temperature. Here in Florida it's 100°. Our chicken are really felling the heat. I freeze ice with their treats in it, it helps cools them down. A trick I pick up from BYC. Enjoy
At least it's a dry heat. We have very low humidity. I'll bet with the humidity you have, it feels even hotter and the chickens are more stressed. Keep 'em cool!

Back
Top Bottom